Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,858   Posts: 1,583,116   Online: 955

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Correct lens caps for Nikon F era lenses

I have recently taken posession of my father's camera collection. Included are a couple of Nikon Fs with four lenses but no lens caps.

The lenses are 50mm f1.4, 35mm f2.8, 105mm f2.5 and 200mm f4. Al pre AI (I think) and marked Nippon Kogaku.

I think they are all 52mm filter thread. I have some more modern lens caps but would like to know what the originals would have looked like so I can buy some. Were they an older version of the sprung cap or just a simple push on cap?

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    This guy has a lot of photos of lenses with their caps, etc:

http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks. Looks like I have one correct cap and need three more.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Though the "right" caps with the protruding metal push prongs tend to catch on things all the time...
    They changed them for a reason!
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The caps actually look more modern than the lenses. I was expecting a simple push on cap like I have on the lenses for my Pentax Spotmatics.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've never seen a Nikon branded push on cap for the 52 mm lenses, only the ones with the metal or plastic buttons on the spring.
    In the link posted by Jervan one lens showed a cap that said "Nippon Kogaku" instead of "Nikon", implying that it is quite old, but it was still the same snap on design.

My hands wouldn't know what to do with a push on cap on a Nikon, I'd be squeezing the sides everytime I pulled it off

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You need the sprung caps with chrome buttons, saying either "Nippon Kogaku" or "Nikon" depending on the vintage. They're annoying; the buttons catch on things like sweaters, and the spring part is made of aluminium. One cannot make a proper spring of aluminium. Same basic problem with the lens shades of that era, after 40 or 50 years of use the springy part gives up.

I have them for all my old lenses, but use cheapo plastic ones with the sprung tabs, and whatever screw in metal or rubber lens shade that does a proper job.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Tamron brand caps work well, so keep the chromed pinned Nikkor ones in the drawer where they don't get lost.

The Nikkor/Nikon screw in metal lens hoods are better as well, they don't pop off and are excellent crushable style shock absorbers if you are so unlucky as to drop a lens with or without the camera attached.
    Bob

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    I've never seen a Nikon branded push on cap for the 52 mm lenses
    I don't think they exist. I just think that if they did, they would be more in keeping with the style of that era.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob-D659 View Post
    The Tamron brand caps work well, so keep the chromed pinned Nikkor ones in the drawer where they don't get lost.
    That is the plan but I need to get some first! The cameras live in a display cabinet when not in use so I would like the correct caps for them. When I take them out though, I will probably use the newer all plastic caps which I have already (both Nikon and generic replacement).

Quote Originally Posted by Bob-D659 View Post
    The Nikkor/Nikon screw in metal lens hoods are better as well
    All I have in the hood department at the moment is the screw on hood for the 50mm f1.4 lens.

I haven't tried it with film yet but I think I'm going to like the 105mm f2.5 lens. I have always wanted to try a lens of this focal length but haven't had one until now.

Steve.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I dredged up several late(?) F/F2 period caps from deep storage recently. Busted the flimsy "special" cap for the 45/2.8 Ai-P nouveau pancake that's taller the usual newer Nikon caps to clear its weirdo inverted cone hood. Caps I found are solid black with a modern "Nikon" logo on a cross-hatched field. Two side tabs open a teensy bear trap-like bit of spring steel with cleats inside the cap that grip/screw onto the lens' filter threads. Works perfectly on the 45mm since the cap is a bit taller than usual and stays put.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin