Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,716   Posts: 1,514,779   Online: 877

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe I misunderstood. I thought that the mirror just lifted along its normal arc, as with mirror lockup. It can be lifted manually from its forward edge. If it came forward toward the lens mount, I think something's not right. I just checked mine, and it is hinged at the back. It can only move through its arc.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    It happened very quickly, and thus it is hard for me to say how it lifted. I gather it did lift on its normal arc, as when I do a mirror lockup test on it seems to operate correctly, using its normal arc. I see nothing wrong when I do the test, and if the linkage had been damaged or dislodged, I imagine the MLU would not work correctly.
    Last edited by FilmOnly; 06-06-2012 at 09:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by FilmOnly View Post
    Rest what case? The only case you have made well is the case that demonstrates your rudeness.
    Just the way he is.
    You're also going to notice he wants to have the last word in a conversation. :P
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Care and feeding of mirrors is delicate(you know that).
    One approach is to use something like a flight feather from a duck or goose. Once you have the feather(they don't give them up easily. Especially geese) clean it in alcohol and use it only for brushing foreign crap from the mirror.
    BTW, once it's clean, don't touch it with fingers or it will pick up oil from them & put it on the mirror.
    If the feather doesn't get it free, a Q-tip and a breath on the mirror works too. No pressure is put on the Q-tip, you're relying on the immense weight of the cotton bud to remove the crap. BTW the Q-tips shed like crazy but the few pieces of cotton can usually be blown out with an air bulb.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks, John...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by FilmOnly View Post
    It happened very quickly, and thus it is hard for me to say how it lifted. I gather it did lift on its normal arc, as when I do a mirror lockup test on it seems to operate correctly, using its normal arc. I see nothing wrong when I do the test, and if the linkage had been damaged or dislodged, I imagine the MLU would not work correctly.
    The main mirror pivots are fixed, no complex mirror motion when rising, so unless the pivots are broken you will get only a simple arc. You could see if you had a broken pivot. I think you're fine.

As for CGW, you'll get used to him eventually. Probably. Maybe.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All you need to do to remove dust or hairs from a mirror is make a brush out of a few sheets of lens cleaning tissues torn in half, and rolled up together to make the torn ends into the brush and gently brush the mirror with the torn ends of it.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    As for CGW, you'll get used to him eventually. Probably. Maybe.
    Hopefully ...

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Sanjay Sen - APUG Subscriber
    Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.

July 23 1975 - June 3 2012

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Shooter
    35mm
    I've only had to clean a mirror once, and I used one of those Zeiss lens wipes, which are moistened with their cleaning fluid. I tore it in half and wrapped it around a q-tip. After gently rubbing for a few seconds, it dries up quickly, and anything left behind will usually easily blow away. These things are handy for all things photographic, (and my wife pinches them to clean her glasses), and I keep some in my camera bag all the time. Once, somebody standing beside me popped open a can of Coke and a bit sprayed on my UV filter. Grabbed one of those little wipes, and that sugary stuff was gone in no time.
    Unfortunately, on any website, you will get the occasional person who is habitually rude. Ignore them.

Shooter
    35mm
    I appreciate the discussion here.

lxdude: I appreciate your reassurance, as I enjoy using my F3, and would not want anything to happen to it. The movement of the mirror remains something of a mystery/blur to me. Again, it happened quickly...

I sold my two FEs, and have an F4S on the way. I enjoyed the FEs, but I like the focus confirmation and higher frame rate of the F4S. I have tried a number of Nikon bodies, and my F3P is currently my favorite. I am very much looking forward to the F4S.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin