Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,765   Posts: 1,516,382   Online: 1015

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Question About Cleaning Mirror on Nikon F3P

My F3P's mirror was getting a tad dirty, and so I cleaned it using my mini-vac and its attachment hose. I have done this before with other cameras. This time, though, the mirror flipped forward from the suction of the vacuum. I quickly removed the vacuum attachment, and the mirror went back to its normal position. The mirror looked fine, and, in a couple of tests shots, I did not notice any odd noises or operational issues. Should I be concerned, or should all be okay?

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sounds like this week's prize-winning OCD cautionary tale.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "mirror flipped forward", From the top? Meaning it's lose? Glue it, good luck.
    If it just went up, you're fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by FilmOnly View Post
    My F3P's mirror was getting a tad dirty, and so I cleaned it using my mini-vac and its attachment hose. I have done this before with other cameras. This time, though, the mirror flipped forward from the suction of the vacuum. I quickly removed the vacuum attachment, and the mirror went back to its normal position. The mirror looked fine, and, in a couple of tests shots, I did not notice any odd noises or operational issues. Should I be concerned, or should all be okay?
    Why is the mirror getting dirty? Are you leaving it around with the lens or body cap off? I've had some cameras for 20 or so years without having to clean the mirror. Cleaning the mirror usually does more harm than good.

Shooter
    35mm
    The mirror was not really "dirty." I noticed it had a small hair stuck to it. I do not know how it got in there, as I am careful with my camera bodies. I gather that every time one removes the lens (and I do so often) things can get in there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The mirrors in SLR's are first surface mirrors. Such mirrors are incredably delicate. They cannot be touched let alone cleaned with anything besides air. Since they are not in the light path when you are taking a photo why worry.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The mirror was not really "dirty." I noticed it had a small hair stuck to it. I do not know how it got in there, as I am careful with my camera bodies. I gather that every time one removes the lens (and I do so often) things can get in there.
    Blow it out with a hand blower. Vacuum? Good Lord.

Shooter
    35mm
    I just performed a MLU, and the mirror seemed go upward and lock in the normal manner.

Shooter
    35mm
    Indeed, the Lord is good. I have used a hand blower for this before, and all it does is swirl around dust inside the camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Indeed, the Lord is good. I have used a hand blower for this before, and all it does is swirl around dust inside the camera.
    Here's the skinny. A first surface mirror is delicate, as has been pointed out. Since the mirror is not in the path of picture-forming light, it doesn't matter if it has a speck or three. As I pointed out, it is possible to go years without the mirror getting dirty, if you excersise any care at all. An old Leica brochure points out that "it is better to keep your lens clean, than to keep cleaning your lens" - that goes 100-fold for the mirror. Cleaning the mirror with enough suction to actually move the mirror is abusing the camera.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin