Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,659   Posts: 1,481,473   Online: 1119

Shooter
    35mm

Cleaning the sticky handle on my Canon EOS 630

I haven't used my Canon EOS 630 for a while. The hand grip is sticky. I tried cleaning it with Lysol 4 in1 household cleaner,which didn't work. The camera is in great shape.

Can anyone suggest good fix for this?

TIA

HowardDvorin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "Goo-Gone"?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The sticky "handle" (most commonly on palm door on mid-range to high end EOS bodies) is a long-standing gripe. It is terrible when handling the camera with gloved paws, worse still if the surface comes into contact with something like Polartec fabric where it tends to attract pill which is very difficult to remove. I have treated my palm door (handgrip is not affected) on my EOS 1N with methylated spirit, which works for a while before the situation reverts again! From around 1992 to 1997 Canon offered replacement of the "sticky palm door" with another (at owner expense!) due to this manufacturing glitch. Some cameras, like yours, have the even more infuriating sticky handgrips. Don't apply solvents as they can potentially cause bubbling of the underlying surface. Try soapy water and also shampoo lather.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

One beautiful image is worth
    a thousand hours of therapy.

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government
    to save the environment."
    .::Ansel Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd just get a new grip, if the stickiness is on the removable part. There's three available for the 630: the GR-30 is the standard grip, the GR-20 has a remote socket, and the GR-10 has a slightly longer grip that can accept a hand strap. The GR-10 is very nice when using larger lenses, I have it on all three of my RTs. Nobody wants these cameras anymore, so I imagine the grips can be had cheap.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

Seahawks won Superbowl XLVIII.
    Next year's Superbowl is XLIX. Easier to pronounce than XLVIII. Sounds like XLAX.
    I hope that doesn't mean we won't be able to stop the run...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin