Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,895   Posts: 1,520,956   Online: 878

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    I think the site might be Ebay. I have bough couple of infrared filters (different wavelenghs) that came from china but marked hoya. Naively I thought that everything comes from china anyway (they just slap the UK price on that is higher than anywhere else in the world) and how much can I go wrong with a piece of opaque glass? Well very wrong indeed. As they say buy cheap, buy twice. At the end I had to buy an expensive one from UK seller, and make sure I look after it :-)

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Pay less get less. Not sympathetic when the "dollar store" mentality nets counterfeits and/or junk merch. If there wasn't a yawning demand for such schlock, the Chinese wouldn't make it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RenA View Post
    I think the site might be Ebay. I have bough couple of infrared filters (different wavelenghs) that came from china but marked hoya. Naively I thought that everything comes from china anyway (they just slap the UK price on that is higher than anywhere else in the world) and how much can I go wrong with a piece of opaque glass? Well very wrong indeed. As they say buy cheap, buy twice. At the end I had to buy an expensive one from UK seller, and make sure I look after it :-)

If it is E-bay, then perhaps those of you who are registered with that site should make the organisers aware of what is going on?

Shooter
    Multi Format

Back in the day, Japan labeled products " Made in USA ". Read On To Find Out How !

Quote Originally Posted by rolleiman View Post
    A camera magazine has recently published an alert, over fake Hoya filters being manufactured in China, and apparently being marketed on certain websites at a price somewhat cheaper than the real thing. The magazine does not name the websites, presumably for legal reasons. These filters are allegedly of very poor quality, both optically and construction wise.

This follows in the wake of fake chargers for mobile phones (and possibly cameras) etc. also eminating from China.

It seems to be the case that any camera accesories originating from China and being sold at suspiciously cheap prices, should be regarded with extreme caution before considering purchase.

Moral......If it looks too good to be true, it almost certainly is.
    You know just as Japan had a town named USA, so the products that came from there
    could legally be labeled " Made in USA ",

At some point China will form a City of Commerce, ( get it ? ), named Japan,
    In this way Chinese products could legally be labeled " Made in Japan ".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanishing Point Ent. View Post
    You know just as Japan had a town named USA, so the products that came from there

The Japanese town of Usa has been called that since the eighth century more than a thousand years since before the U.S.A. existed http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usa,_Ja...oduct_labeling
    Last edited by benjiboy; 06-11-2012 at 04:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Those Japanese sure do plan for the long run eh?

Shooter
    35mm
    The Amateur Photographer magazine in the UK named the site where these fake filters are being sold as ebay. That's not to say every Hoya filter on there is a fake. It is almost certain that Hoya will have made representations to ebay. The replica filters don't work properly apparently, so are a waste of money.

If the filter box has a printed barcode on it, it is a fake (often the wrong barcode). Genuine boxes apparently have the barcode on a sticky label. See:-

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...scam-escalates

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I only own one hoya, a polarizer I got from b&h.. It's got a black spec in the glass and was quite expensive at the time (90's). Maybe it's a fake. Heliopan or b+w multicoated are better filters (rings) anyway.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanishing Point Ent. View Post

Something made in Usa, Japan could not nowadays be sold internationally with the "made in USA" label.
    By the same token something made in Japan, China, cannot be sold as "made in Japan".
    (National laws and international trade agreements don't care about town names).
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Big companies of American origin frequently sell things made in China falsely labeled. They just pay
    a token fine or cut some kind of deal when caught. As the definition is slowly getting more stringent
    the fine-print (literally) seems to get smaller and smaller, and it's often hard to tell where something
    is made. Legally, to be made in the US, 90% of the parts have to come from here. Assembled in the
    USA means something else entirely. Global components ... well. I have found real Hoya filters to be
    excellent, esp the multi-coated variety, though sometimes not quite spot on for exacting CC values
    where color film is involved. But counterfeit Japanese filters have also been made in Japan too in
    the past, with an inferior product being labeled with someone else's name. If something is priced too good to be true, it probably is.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin