Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,039   Online: 991

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Fake Hoya Filters, beware.

A camera magazine has recently published an alert, over fake Hoya filters being manufactured in China, and apparently being marketed on certain websites at a price somewhat cheaper than the real thing. The magazine does not name the websites, presumably for legal reasons. These filters are allegedly of very poor quality, both optically and construction wise.

This follows in the wake of fake chargers for mobile phones (and possibly cameras) etc. also eminating from China.

It seems to be the case that any camera accesories originating from China and being sold at suspiciously cheap prices, should be regarded with extreme caution before considering purchase.

Moral......If it looks too good to be true, it almost certainly is.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Chinese are only doing what Japanese were previously doing before they got a foot in the door and captured the international markets, the Japanese were notorious for these practices, but in many cased people began to realize the Japanese Fakes were better quality than the originals.

Japanese fakes
    Last edited by benjiboy; 06-07-2012 at 06:33 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Japanese were building a camera industry when they introduced Canon and Nikon lenses to rival those of Leitz.

The Chinese fakes are backed by criminal gangs who are out to make a quick killing. Some of their fake chargers have caused injury and in one case, electrocution, to anyone unfortunate enough to have bought them in the belief they were genuine.

I don't think you can compare the two.

Japanese fakes[/QUOTE]

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I recently bought two Kenko UV filters from a seller in China; I suspect they are fake. Construction is really flimsy and the 'Kenko' brand name on the rim looks nothing like the real deal. I use them on my RB67 and haven't noticed any detrimental effects to IQ, but then again my scanner isn't very good. They don't seem to filter UV very well though.

Don't buy filters from China at prices that are too good to be true.
    And the sign said, "long haired freaky people need not apply"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the warning.

Jeff

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    maybe if original filters would not be so expensive this would not happen.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the heads up! I use metal detectors alot as a hobby. In the last couple of years Chinese fakes of good American detectors have been showing up in the market. Seems there's no end to what they won't do.
    2bits

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Even whole towns. On topic - I had a look at the Hoya filters I bought on E*ay, I "think" they are okay, but they are the low end versions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Filter prices have gone up a lot, even the ubiquitous UV filter commands high prices due to fancy multi-coatings and such. I personally dont mind buying and using used filters, they are usually fine and are good deals, especially when getting contrast filters for B&W. They older types have less of a chance of fakery such as when you buy the older Nikon, B+W, and Hoya filters.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would certainly recommend s/h older filters of well known makes. You can usually find s/h filters a-plenty in reputable photo stores, I recently purchased 6 Nikon 52mm b&w ones for £30 here in a London photoshop, all in excellent condition. Remember, you saved long and hard to buy that top class lens, why risk spoiling the performance with a cheap and possibly fake filter?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin