Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,862   Posts: 1,583,180   Online: 719

Thread: Haze VS Fungus

Shooter
    Multi Format

Haze VS Fungus

I've got a question, what causes haze in a lens? I bought a lens from a fellow in Florida quite awhile back. It has a little bit of a haze effect in the front end of the lens inside, in a small spot on the edge. Is haze a form of fungus? Or is it fungus that has died out? Just curious, as here in the southwest fungus is virtually unheard of inside a lens. I've never experienced it before. But from what I've read if it's small like this, it does not affect photo quality. And the shots I've taken are sharp and crisp with nothing in them that I can see.
    Any idea?
    Thanks 2bits

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sometimes haze is caused by outgassing from the lubes or adhesives used in construction and maintenance of the lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Also, alligators in Florida generate gas that causes haze in photographic lenses.

I am not sure what you are seeing is haze. Sounds more like separation of some kind. All the haze I've seen was pretty much evenly coating one side of lens element. Once, I took apart a Zenit lens that spent most of its time in Venezuela. It had severe hazing and I found a really REALLY thick coat of dampening oil in helicoid. I think it was outgassing.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ^^That, our gators contribute to 35% of all methane production

Fungus is a cinch to clean off if you can get to it, I just picked up a Mamiya waist-level finder for my 645 and it had fungus on the diopter.....some spray glass cleaner took it right off looks brand new......only problem is when it gets into the coatings.
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit, under the knife for a bit
    4x5 Graphic View / Schneider 180 / Ektar 127
    RB67 Pro S / 50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    Random 35mm stuff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The hyphae of fungus are very distinctive in shape. For slightl infestations you may need a magnifying glass to see them. They can actually etch the coating on the lens in which case you are SOL. The haze you describe does not sound like fungus. If it's not on the front surface then the lens must be disassembled. A task not for the faint of heart.

The state flower of Florida is mildew. So folks there know fungus.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Haze can have several reasons, though lubricant out-gassing is probably the most commen.
    As mentioned, it's usually pretty evenly distributed over the lens surfaces.
    It also seems to vary in how easy it is to clean up (some old Leica lenses are notoriously difficult to de-haze).

I've seen fungus which looks very much like haze, but keeps on getting thicker.
    I also suspect that haze can sometimes lead to fungus, by supply a food source for the latter...
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all the replies everyone. I love it "Gator Gas" ! Whatever it is is just a minute area that it took me a bit to even see it in there. Could be a tiny clump of lint?
    J dogg great photo of the little girl by the way!
    Well in our dry climate it is bound to die if it was alive. Been several months already.
    Thanks again 2bits

Shooter
    127 Format
    I think storage in smoker's homes can lead to hazy lenses. I have acquired a couple of them.
    - Bill Lynch

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin