Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,767   Online: 971

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Must feel nice and smooth to use and have a nice viewfinder. If it's electronic it needs a DX override

Shooter
    35mm
    One of the most important features is an exposure lock button that can be operated without taking your eye from the camera. A photographer needs to make a quick reading away from backlight and recompose without messing round with LCDs and menus or the ASA dial.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blockend View Post
    One of the most important features is an exposure lock button that can be operated without taking your eye from the camera. A photographer needs to make a quick reading away from backlight and recompose without messing round with LCDs and menus or the ASA dial.
    Don't need that if it's fully manual a la om-1

Shooter
    Large Format
    Depth of field preview. I prefer an off camera meter, it gives me more flexibility. Do I want reflection? Incident? flash metering? all those can be had by renting one nice meter instead of trying to work around an in-camera meter.
    Simple controls. good design of a camera puts needed functions in buttons or switches in convenient places. Poor design puts it under access wheels. Horrible design hides it in menus. Those also apply to digital cameras as well. Shutter release, as well as aperture and shutter setting should be right under a finger when you pick the camera up, or in a logical place (like on the lens for larger cameras.)
    Not a big fan of autofocus, I've used some that have had issues focusing on a subject in various conditions, like under bright daylight or indoors but well within the range that the autofocus should work in. I find that one you can turn on and off is the best choice. You can do the focus most of the time, but until you have monumental skill, a good autofocus makes a rapidly moving subject easier to capture.
    A good warranty, if it is new or refurbished. Seriously, if somehting happens and it would be covered under a good warranty, you want to be able to get it covered. Being able to go to the place that refurbished your camera and have them fix an issue that cropped up is very nice, and it saves you the money of sending it to a service place, if you can find one.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    1) Ability to work without a battery
    2) A way to turn off the meter or at least any indicators in the VF
    3) Split screen, microprism(?) or plain matte focusing
    4) PC socket
    5) Tripod mount
    6) A way to use a shutter release cable

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Everything I would want and need in a 35mm S.L.R ( build quality, shutter accuracy, precision, and reliability ) would be embodied in a new Nikon F with a plain prism finder.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    a new Nikon F with a plain prism finder.
    A new one would be nice. I now have my father's two Fs. One black with plain and metered finders and one chrome with metered finder only. I would like to find a chrome plain prism finder for it.

At the moment I can't imagine using any 35mm SLR other than a Nikon F - and I have quite a few others to choose from!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Everything I would want and need in a 35mm S.L.R ( build quality, shutter accuracy, precision, and reliability ) would be embodied in a new Nikon F with a plain prism finder.
    You don't really need a new one. Just get a clean one and have a proper CLA done, you'll have a camera for the rest of your life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As far as I'm concerned, essential features of a camera are a shutter of some description, light tightness (?), somewhere to put film, and if you're not into pinhole photography, a lens.

Nice features are in-camera metering, a good selection of lenses or a good zoom range if fixed lens, a split-prism screen, and manual everything else. Also, I can't stress enough how comfortable it needs to be.

I have an Exakta VX1000, it looks the dog's cojones and it has a cracking lens, but I can't get a comfy and secure hold on the triangular sides, the shutter release on the front and on the wrong side is a bit odd and I miss the split-prisms of my AE-1 and my OM-1. (Yes, I know I can change the screen, but considering how little I use it, I see very little point in spending too much on it until I have the cash to spare, and it needs a service before anything else anyway.) I can't complain 'cos I got it for a song and it's capable of some great stuff, but it's a crying shame I can't get on with it.
    Last edited by OliMonster; 06-19-2012 at 07:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format

pretty much..although..as I get older.. Auto Focus is pretty nice

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin