Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,717   Online: 787

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually I know where I have seen thus effect before, from a camera that wouldn't stop down at all, threw the scanner for a total loop

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oops this not thus, although us kiwis pronounce them the same anyway...

Shooter
    127 Format
    Try another roll and get the scan CD from the lab. It will give you a better idea if the camera is working properly.

I wonder if the film was under exposed. Are the negatives too clear, or too dark, when you look through them?
    Last edited by wblynch; 06-15-2012 at 01:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What you can do also is if you have digital camera: make a photo of negative against some diffuse light, and edit it in photoshop / gimp and then you can see if it is a scanner problem. See on youtube how to scan negative with digital camera.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The scan from an older negative that I posted earlier in the thread was scanned in with exactly the same scanner. I also remembered that it took several days for the film to be processed as they told me when I brought it in that their processor was down for repairs. I have a roll of bw in there now but I'm going to send my next color roll out.It also reminds me of xprocessing filters in lightroom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cepwin View Post
    The scan from an older negative that I posted earlier in the thread was scanned in with exactly the same scanner. I also remembered that it took several days for the film to be processed as they told me when I brought it in that their processor was down for repairs. I have a roll of bw in there now but I'm going to send my next color roll out.It also reminds me of xprocessing filters in lightroom
    If you're talking about the cat picture it looks equally bad. I would buy some proper pro film like portra or ektar and make sure it's not expired, then give/send the roll to a lab with a good reputation for dev and scans. That way you know where the error lies and what kind of quality you should expect.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by cepwin View Post
    I'm using a 50mm 1.8 lens...I might have missed the focus as it is manual focus but also I have a tendency to shoot wide open so the DOF could be too small. The scanner is an image lab scanner that is a film scanner..definitely as consumer model. I think the rub is the film...it was kodak 400 ISO that I bought from the 1hr foto type store but I don't have the canister or box to check the date. Like I said, it looks like pix I've seen of expired film.
    You're shooting a 1.8 lens wide open with ISO 400 film in daylight with an FG?

For starters, when shooting outdoor daylight, I suggest stopping the lens down to about f/8 or more and working on your focus and hand-holding -- use a tripod if necessary.

And, use another lab too.

Are you sure your camera is working properly?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks for the suggestions!...yeah I have to learn the settings on this one. I've been using the little indicator in the viewfinder to adjust my shutter speed and have been adjusting aperture based on what I was taking. Yes, that is my plan...get some good color film (I have good b/w) and send it to a good lab..suggestions in the US? I'm certainly not going to trust the place I went with my film again...I believe they are the most likely suspect. I've seen Blue Moon and The Dark Room on the analog sites.

I'm not 100% sure how the camera is operating since I just got it. However, I have no reason to believe there's anything wrong with it. The scanner is not an expensive one so this is probably a matter of I get what I paid for.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Just take it to Costco. Get their scan CD and prints. Total less than $10. Can't beat them for C-41 35mm processing.

Second choice, Walgreen's - CVS - Rite-Aid - Target.

Get in the ballpark then work on the nuances.

Chances are good your camera is OK.

--Oh. and cheap color film from the drugstore is best at this time. Kodak Gold 200 or 400 or Fujifilm 200 or 400 or any of the store brand. All are great films.

Once you get proper results you will love film photography.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Oh...OK Thanks!...I'm not sure if Target still processes film in my area but I can check. CVS and Walgreen's are also convenient. I'm going to be by a CVS tomorrow and I'll see if they have the film.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin