Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,635   Online: 665

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    You will notice that if you remove the lens and try and fire, nothing happens: the body has safeguards to prevent firing without a lens attached.
    Both my EOS 600 and 1N fire without lens, in all modes (PASM).

The lens mount transmits a huge amount of information to the body the moment it is mounted (positive click). It does so only when the index is positively engaged.
    With "index" are you referring to the AF switch (or what it should be called)?

If it is not, an error state is generated.
    Not on my bodies, they work fine without lens-attached confirmation. No great photography will come of it, but they work .

IIRC through the MIR EOS site, the flange lever plays an important role in diagnostics when, for instance, the EOS 1N is connected to a technical interface via the hot shoe to assess control circuits, lens-body-body-lens communication, focus position, Tv/Av settings, shutter/shutter curtain delay and accuracy, drive readiness, drive wind and rewind cue (build up of tension at frame #36); there are many other checks possible.
    I can see how the flange lever comes into play in the diagnostics area. But how (if at all) is the switch relevant to the actual user?

I imagine that if the switch is not engaged the body will not know a lens is positively attached and lens-body circuits are connected and ready.
    Repeating myself just to be annoying: without the switch engaged my bodies (600, 1N) work fine.

The EOS 600 does not have a system reset (like the 1N, 1V) to clear fault states. I would not attempt to organise the camera yourself at the risk of incurring damage — it's not clear why the mirror is behaving in the manner you described.
    The best reason I can come up with is for diagnostic purposes (access to the front of the shutter on cameras without MLU).

More information (on all EOS bodies) can be found on the MIR EOS site (I am a contributor to this very large resource project): http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...s/MapEOS1n.htm)
    No reference to the switch on the nomenclature map (http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...s/MapEOS1n.htm) nor on the in depth AF page (http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...ing/index2.htm).

Relevant info on the switch may be on that site, however I can't find it. No easy searching with such generic terms as AF, switch, lever, flange, etc. .

Sorry to come across a bit unconstructive perhaps, Poisson du Jour, that's not my intent. I just seem unable to make any sense out of this switch at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have never got my EOS 1N or 5 to fire without a lens on! You can do some cruel and unusal things (which I won't discuss!!) to EOS bodies to make them hang (and thus need to invoke CLEAR or CLEAR ALL on the 1N, 1V!!).
    That's not going to see me poking around to see how things work!!

AND, there's nothing unconstructive about your post. I get very frustrated with the MIR site. The informative it contains is very, very, deep, as you might gather, and not really helped by fractal English. Even good ol' emails are lost on them occasionally. The site authors are (predominantly) Malay / Canadian / US and Chinese (a lot work in IT full time, play with cameras the all other times) with a medley of global hangers-on (real photographers), and those guys are extremely 'switched-on' from literally dismembering bodies — camera bodies I mean, in the search for truth!) and the site does not ~ years after it first came into being ~ yet have a generic search engine. I get lost in it myself and have great difficulty finding those parts I have contributed to — text, and images... I don't really care and in truth, neither do they. They make dream-like money in IT!!

I don't think it (the switch) is of any relevance whatsoever to the average user. Why should it interest Mr. Snapper? You must be the first person on APUG to have raised the issue. What else is there? For now, put the toys away and go back to bed!!
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    While you're there, ask if that flux capacitor ever needs any maintenance.
    Mine has never needed maintenance. I just stuff in a banana peel every few years.

Quote Originally Posted by sandermarijn View Post
    Both my EOS 600 and 1N fire without lens, in all modes (PASM).
    Ditto. EOS 1N, 1N-RS, 1V, 3, my former Elan 7N and EOS 1, and three RTs, they all act the same. Fire with or without a lens, doesn't matter what the camera settings are.
    Last edited by flatulent1; 06-18-2012 at 11:35 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    35mm
    Sander, you remind me of me! Little things like this drive me completely insane. I can't help you with your question, unfortunately. The thought did cross my mind that the lever might have something to do with the original Canon FD to EOS converter/adapter, but that doesn't really make sense.

P.S. I'm excited for 2015; Back to the Future Pt. II takes place that year (partly).

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LJSLATER View Post
    P.S. I'm excited for 2015; Back to the Future Pt. II takes place that year (partly).
    I'll be looking out for a young healthy Michael then. Can't help going all sentimental when I see him on TV nowadays. He was so wonderful in BTTF. Great guy, so enormously brave.

Thanks for identifying with my little quest, it's good to know I'm not the only moaner .

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin