Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,225   Posts: 1,532,668   Online: 802

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Don't agree by how much? More than a few inches could be a problem at close distances.
    Not by much! Setting the focusing ring at 2 m the actual distance to have the subject in focus is 1.9 so it's 5%. At close distance the scale is set at 0.5 m and actual distance is 0.48 it's 4%. That's for the Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 AI.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Seeing as the whole point of a SLR is that you focus through the lens, why does it matter? And unless you are shooting at f2 or bigger, won't the depth of field cover any inaccuracy if you are relying on measuring the focus for some reason?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Peltigera View Post
    Seeing as the whole point of a SLR is that you focus through the lens, why does it matter? And unless you are shooting at f2 or bigger, won't the depth of field cover any inaccuracy if you are relying on measuring the focus for some reason?
    That's true. I cannot think of many circumstances when you'd need to focus with a tapemeasure.
    The OP didn't say what camera it was, on an autofocus camera they're likely just ballpark figures.

Shooter
    35mm
    what's the difference if I use an autofocus camera? The lens is a manual focus lens. For the measurement I used a Nikon FM because it has the split image. The reason I asked to question because out of curiousity a long time ago I made the measurement and remember that it's not accurate. Recently upon a D forum and some people used manual focus lenses on their mirrorless and can't focus with the D.. LCD so they resorted to the scale and found they are not accurate. I actually never used the scale on the SLR.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin