Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,648   Online: 1101

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Lens focusing scale

I am wondering that the distance marking on the focusing ring on most SLR lenses are supposed to measure from film plane to subject or from front nodal plane to subject or what? None seems to really agree (they are close but not right on so can't say they are marked for one o another). Any information on this?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    I am wondering that the distance marking on the focusing ring on most SLR lenses are supposed to measure from film plane to subject or from front nodal plane to subject or what? None seems to really agree (they are close but not right on so can't say they are marked for one o another). Any information on this?
    Film plane. On most older cameras, there was a marking to show the location of the film plane, it looks like a zero with a line through it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i thought, this was true for all camerasand filmbacks. it's true for allof mine, but all of mine are old!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    i thought, this was true for all camerasand filmbacks. it's true for allof mine, but all of mine are old!
    Yeah, I don't recall seeing the marks on the few newer cameras I've handled.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the said mark on Nikon F100 and all of my digis (D200 and D60)

I guess it's time for me to upgrade!
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks all! All my cameras have film plane mark and I knew about it. Just that my measured distance and what's on the focusing ring don't agree.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Film plane. On most older cameras, there was a marking to show the location of the film plane, it looks like a zero with a line through it.
    On the Nikon F bodies the film plane was denoted by the "top" of the serial number on the rewind-side top cover. (Factoid, fer sure.)
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by semi-ambivalent View Post
    On the Nikon F bodies the film plane was denoted by the "top" of the serial number on the rewind-side top cover. (Factoid, fer sure.)
    I'd have to look, but I don't recall a mark on my F. I'll look in the instruction manual. The Nikkormat Ftn sitting here on the desk has the filmplane mark, though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks all! All my cameras have film plane mark and I knew about it. Just that my measured distance and what's on the focusing ring don't agree.
    Suggests that someone has had the lens apart at sometime and failed to set infinity focus when reassembling. Or poorly manufactured.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't agree by how much? More than a few inches could be a problem at close distances.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin