Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,284   Posts: 1,535,061   Online: 1068

Shooter
    35mm

Joining short rolls for development

A while ago I asked what folks do when they have, say, a 36 exp roll, a 24 exp roll, and a 12 exp roll ready to process, but have only a two-reel tank. I'm not sure what replies there were but I eventually came up with my own solution that I've been using for a while now, and it works great. Staples!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	i-Hx3cw5B-XL.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	147.1 KB 
ID:	52586

The trick here is to leave the leaders out when you rewind, or extract them with a handy-dandy lead retrieval tool. This allows me to join a couple 12's or a 12 and a 24 and still have a spare reel for loading another roll. They wind fine onto my Patterson plastic reels; not sure how well this technique would work with steel reels.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    35mm
    A neat idea but I can't recall the last time I saw a 12 frame roll and any combo not involving a 12 isn't possible in a 35mm reel as far as I know. Still good if you bulk load of course

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tape works well too for 120. You should staple maybe after you have an end on a roll and in the center as the plastic reels have ball bearings for sprocket holes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you can talk a photo finisher into selling you a short roll of Blue Max film splicig tape you will be in heaven. My full roll cost $20, and it is several life times supplies. Its adhesive sticks well to film base, and to almost nothing else. It is waterproof, and stays in place thorough processing solutions too.

I addition to using it to load bulk load film to the cassette spool, I use it to join 120 films end to end to load on a Paterson reel when I am processing c-41 or E-6, and want to minimize the number of re-uses of the chems through the tank, where they get aerial oxidiation, while processing the rated numbers of films
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not a bad idea if you shoot short rolls.

Since I shoot -36s when I shoot 35mm, I just got one of each Paterson tank - a 2-roll, 3-, 5- and 8-. That way I can get rid of a bunch of rolls in a hurry.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    i roll 24 slide rolls into dummy c-41 cans to get them cross processed.

you can fit 2-24 rolls into a single can if you trim off the leader. its tight but you can do it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilde View Post
    I use it to join 120 films end to end
    I use the tape which is already there holding the film to the paper.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin