Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,200   Online: 807

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Sub 35mm

Which EOS film camera?

I am a digital EOS user wanting to get into film. After thinking about a rangefinder, it hit me that I already have a nice collection of EF lens so why not buy an EOS. Then looking around it seems the nicer ones are very cheap these days (sub $100)

For an easy transition into film which would you suggest? It seems like the EOS-3 and the ELAN 7NE have semi modern focus and metering; and available in almost unused shape. Any suggestions on a particular model or something to look out for I might be missing?

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesBill View Post
    I am a digital EOS user wanting to get into film. After thinking about a rangefinder, it hit me that I already have a nice collection of EF lens so why not buy an EOS. Then looking around it seems the nicer ones are very cheap these days (sub $100)

For an easy transition into film which would you suggest? It seems like the EOS-3 and the ELAN 7NE have semi modern focus and metering; and available in almost unused shape. Any suggestions on a particular model or something to look out for I might be missing?

Thanks
    I wouldn't say the EOS3 has "semi-modern" metering and focusing, this camear has all that is needed (and more) for technically perfect photography. If you can get an EOS3 (but I doubt $100 is enough) then I'd recommend getting one. I've had one for about 10 years, and it's a really great camera. The "booster" (PBE2 grip) makes it a huge beast, but the ergonomics are great with thsi combination, if you're not afraid of the weight.
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    James the EOS 3 is not Semi-Modern but a state of the art camera, the only difference to the newer digi cams is that the digicams have an inferior image capturing system. I also doubt that 100$ will be enough. Some of the Eos 1 are available quiet cheap but still over $ 100.

Dominik

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Ah you guys are right. I was quoting prices I found of the Elan 7NE (EOS 30V). I only said semi-modern because I noticed it didn't have E-TTL II like the Elan 7NE (don't care, won't use my flash) Still looks like under 200 bucks on eBay.

I have never shot a roll of film but have had much experience (amateur) with DSLRs. Both of these will have a better viewfinder, and similar shutter durability I assume. What about the film advance durability, and metering of the cheaper Elan 7NE? They made them more recently, so I might find an example in nicer or even new condition.

Should I just get the EOS-3 considering it cost 5% or less than the 5D-III I have been lusting after? I think the sooner I get a body the better because the cash isn't significant and I have much to learn about film types.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You will not go wrong with EOS 620 or EOS 650. They are big and built like a tank.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a 620, 630 and 650. They all take great photos.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    EOS 50/50e/55. I love my EOS 55 (an EOS 50e for the Japanese market)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kerne View Post
    I have a 620, 630 and 650. They all take great photos.
    This.......I have the A2 and the 650, 650 is a monster. I started on a Rebel and went back to 35mm, picked up a 5D and now have a pair of Elan A2's, you can get them all day for under 100 but many are plagued with the common dial problem where the stops on the dial quit working.

Best to get the 650, 620 or 30, the 630 has a backlit LCD if I remember correctly.
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit / B+M 135mm Zeiss Tessar + Compur Deckel
    RB67 Pro S /50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    FED-2 / 50 2.8 Industar 26m / 85 f2 Jupiter-9
    Canon 300v / A2

Shooter
    35mm
    I have both EOS 3 and EOS 1V. Both are professional grade and produce beautiful photographs. I bought the EOS 3 used from B & H for about $300.00 with condition 9 on the listing. What I received was an absolutely mint, rarely used camera with state of the art autofocus and metering. I think it is the best deal I have ever made and continue to cherish this amazing camera. I think you will find that a lot of original owners of these last generation film cameras used them for a very short time, then switched to digital. If you can find one, it may be the best money you ever spent, even if it is $300.00.
    Canon EOS-1V | Canon 5D2 | 17-40/4L | 24-105/4L | 14/2.8L | 24/1.4L | 35/1.4L | 50/1.2L | 85/1.2L | 200-400/4L | 580EX

“For me, the camera is a sketch book, an instrument of intuition and spontaneity.”
    ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    1V. Can't go wrong. Still in production!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin