Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,444   Online: 782

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll be contrarian here and suggest you sell the 645 according to the logic you've laid out. It does have a bigger negative, but it's not that much bigger. IMHO you aren't getting the benefits of MF that you might with a 6x6 or 6x7 camera. In general, your Nikon lenses easily make up the difference in image quality that the 645 gives you.
    Not that the 645 is a slouch, they are fine cameras, but if you're looking to simplify, downsize, generate some money, whatever, if it's not filling a need, there is no harm in moving on.

It's not like there are no other MF cameras you could buy in the future, if you're inclined. There are all sorts of directions you could go in to use your 120 film stash. For example, folders, holgas, 645, 6x6, 6x7 and 6x9's of all sorts are waiting to be tried out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Austin View Post
    You almost answered yourself in the form of the question - Let that help you decide - Ignore all opinions on APUG apart from mine
    I agree - you have kind of already answered you're own question.

If it were me, though, I would keep the MF, the most versatile of the two film camera's and sell the other.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thank you for all your great responses. In answer to Roger Cole, I have the Mamiya 645 1000s which does not have interchangeable backs. Although I haven't found that to be a major issue I have occasionally rushed to finish off a roll so that I can put in a different type of film. Between the F100 and the FM2 I enjoy using the latter more.
    Graham from St. Augustine, FL

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If 90% PLUS of your work is already digital then sell all the film cameras. Just be more deliberate with your digital work. If you're satisfied enough with it for more than 90% of the time you should be able to do that .
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    If 90% PLUS of your work is already digital then sell all the film cameras. Just be more deliberate with your digital work. If you're satisfied enough with it for more than 90% of the time you should be able to do that .
    While I have no doubt that I could be satisfied enough to use digital 100% of the time, I liken my situation to one who has two or three cars. While they may use their sedan/SUV for 90% of their driving they sometimes enjoy taking the stick-shift convertible or 1957 Chevy out for a spin. The SUV is the most practical, but the other two make for a more satisfying driving experience.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham_Martin View Post
    While I have no doubt that I could be satisfied enough to use digital 100% of the time, I liken my situation to one who has two or three cars. While they may use their sedan/SUV for 90% of their driving they sometimes enjoy taking the stick-shift convertible or 1957 Chevy out for a spin. The SUV is the most practical, but the other two make for a more satisfying driving experience.
    I think we have just found the post of the year! Made me smile

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The last thing I consider my photography to be is practical. In that case then pretend you were being forced to live on a deserted island for twenty years and could only take one film camera. Which would grab if you had 30 seconds to decide? Sell the other two. "Let's go! We have to leave now! Just grab one!"

:-)
    -----------------------

Richard S.

My Photography Website

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I would take the FM2.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Sell that F100 and bank the $$
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    Sell that F100 and bank the $$
    F100 on KEH for $170-$230 or so. Not going for such big bucks anymore.....this is why I've been keeping most of my older cameras. Barely worth selling.
    -----------------------

Richard S.

My Photography Website

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin