Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,852   Online: 1095

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Manual focus wide angle compact with built in flash?

Hi all,
    basically, I'm looking for a 35mm compact with a wide angle (preferably prime) lens with manual focus and a built in flash. The olympus XA4 is the nearest I have found with a 28mm lens, but they are a little over my budget. I've also come across the konica C35 EF but at 38mm the lens isn't as wide as I want. I'm after something wider than 35mm.
    The reason I want manual focus is that I plan on low-light shots and autofocus won't be fast enough in those situations.

Does anyone know of anything that fits the bill?

Thanks
    Nick

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you can find one, and find one in budget (likely a lot more than a XA4), there is the Yasuhara T 012, 30mm lens, flash and manual focus.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My Olympus XA serves me well. The only thing is lacking is autofocus. But the pictures are great.
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumalite View Post
    My Olympus XA serves me well. The only thing is lacking is autofocus. But the pictures are great.
    I like my XA because it doesn't have AF. The 35mm lens is not wide enough for the OP I think. The Nikon 28Ti has a 28mm lens as well as manual and auto focus but the price is many times that of the olympus XA4 that the op thought was too expensive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For lenses with a focal lenth < 35 mm autofocus is not that important. Just set the lens to the hyperfocal distance and shoot away.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    For lenses with a focal lenth < 35 mm autofocus is not that important. Just set the lens to the hyperfocal distance and shoot away.
    yes this is why I want a manual focus compact

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Many of the later compact AF cameras have a snapshot mode, which basically sets the focus to hyperfocal distance.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If you want something very basic, there is the Vivitar Ultra Wide & Slim. Basically, a point and shoot with a 22mm lens. One shutter speed. No flash. Best used with a 400 speed film. Vignettes, but the lens is good.

Olympus had three cameras in the 1960s with a 35mm lens. Two were scale focus, one with a meter. A third model had a rangefinder. All are very well made and somewhat pricey. They were called the "Olympus Wide" with the "Olympus Wide-S" being the premium model with the rangefinder, I believe.

I can't think of too many other manual-focus fixed-lens wide angle cameras, aside from those already mentioned.

Personally, I think if you're looking for something compact, you would be well served with a Cosina Voigtlander Bessa L + 25mm Snapshot Skopar or one of the other cameras mated to a Bessa-R2. Or perhaps a screw-mount Leica or even the Minolta/Leica CLE/CLE.
    Last edited by elekm; 06-24-2012 at 06:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    There are more, but if the OP considers the XA4 to be outside of his price range, then the other options certainly will be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin