Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,705   Posts: 1,482,747   Online: 978

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Total gratuitous indulgence- Contax RTS III

I really shouldn't have. REALLY. But I was in New York this weekend, and stopped by Adorama. They had a Contax RTS III in stock in the used department. I have no idea on earth why they had it priced at $399. Aside from a couple of very minor paint scrapes, the thing looks nearly new. Nothing broken, nothing malfunctioning. I had drooled over one of these for years but they were always out of my price range. They were the equal of a Nikon F4 when new, and in some ways superior (better glass, the ceramic film pressure plate with the vacuum system for ultimate film flatness, TTL flash metering even for non-dedicated strobes [read studio flashes or Vivitar 283s]). And I had a project to shoot my remaining stock of Kodak HIE coming up that was not going to work well in my G2. So into the shopping cart it went. I'm now a very proud papa. Pictures to come later.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice find and congratulations! I use an RTS and RTS II ... and they are each a pleasure to operate. Previously owned an S2. The RTS III was always too much camera for me, but its merits are undeniable if you can utilize all of the extras. Welcome to the world of Contax SLRs. I hope you stay a good, long while.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's amazing what some pro gear is going for now, amazing and dangerous for the wallet. I assume you have some lenses for it already. The Contax was a nice line, too bad they shut it down. Congrats, hope you get a lot of enjoyment from it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good for you. I always liked the concept of the RTS but never left the Nikon line to experiment with them. I'm sure it will be a very nice camera to work with.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As a user of an RX, RTS and RTSII I would have done the same! Don't need it but for that price I'd give it a try. Let us know what you think...
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh, a man after my own heart. I knew I should have tracked you down when I was in Washington last month.

Sweet purchase, in any event. I hope you have a few nice Zeiss lenses to put on it.

I owned Yashica bodies until they got stolen in '94. I've been tempted to get what I might have had my system become - a couple of Contaxes (including my lust object of 1986, the 167MT) and some sweet Zeiss glass, plus a targeted Yashica ML lens or two just because.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I used to have a very nice Contax SLR lineup - two 167MTs (with the P5 battery grip) and an RX, with 35 f2.8, 50 f1.7, 85 f1.4 primes, 35-70 and 80-200 zooms, and a Sigma 18-35 zoom. I unloaded it at a time when I wasn't shooting much 35mm and migrated to a Contax G2 outfit. That now consists of a G1 body and a G2 body, the 21, 28, 35, 45 and 90 lenses. The only two lenses in that system I don't have are the two I'd either never want or never be able to use enough to justify the cost (the 35-70 and 16mm, respectively). Since I was starting the RTS system from scratch all over again, I just got the 50 f1.4 to go with it. As a bonus, I can get one of those Leitax lens mount adapters so when the mood and the need strikes, I can pop it on my Canon 5D if I need a fast medium length prime. Eventually I may re-acquire the 85 1.4, and if I get blindingly lucky, track down a 28 f2 and a 35 f1.4. This is NOT going to grow into a big system. I swear, I promise, I'm NOT going to start collecting more gear again!!!!!! Well, unless I sell that 16" B&L Tessar 11C and the 11x14 it goes with ...

Jim- go get a 167 MT - it's a fantastic little camera. About the only thing it doesn't do I would have wanted it to do was matrix/evaluative metering. Don't forget the P5 battery grip- it solves the really dumb weaknesses of the standard 167 - the off-center tripod socket (why anyone in their right mind would put the tripod socket on the end of the baseplate for a camera that nice instead of centering it on the lens is beyond me) and the AAA batteries (the P5 uses AAs instead). It also balances the camera better when shooting verticals or if you just have big hands.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 100-300 zoom is simply unmatched.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    This may well be gratuitous indulgence on your behalf, but owning one RTS3 myself ( + various primes), I can only tell you that your indulgence is totally and utterly justified. It's an awe-inspiring piece of machinary and makes you make photograph's.

Jaap Jan

P.S. I use my 2 Aria's for the frivolous stuff

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It's a gratuitous indulgence in the sense that for the project I have an immediate need for it, it's total overkill. But otherwise, yes, I know it is a beautiful, awesome camera that will inspire me to pick it up more often and shoot with it.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin