Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,870   Online: 868

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Just a wild guess but would Canon develop a lens that vignettes on its DSLRs--whether APS-C or FF? Just asking.
    Yes, they would and they do, as do the other manufacturers. Especially with lenses at wide to normal focal lengths it can't be helped, not without making the lenses much bigger, heavier, more complex and more expensive than the market will bear.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Yes, they would and they do, as do the other manufacturers. Especially with lenses at wide to normal focal lengths it can't be helped, not without making the lenses much bigger, heavier, more complex and more expensive than the market will bear.
    Funny but the reviews so far haven't found this to be an issue.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Photozone rated it ''Highly recommended"", testing it on 5D MKII.

http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/752-canon_40_28_ff
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"][/SIZE][/FONT]

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by F/1.4 View Post
    Exactly. If you want the size advantage, than you've already justified it. Otherwise a 50mm f/1.8 (or two) is a smarter option.

As far as testing it on film, give yourself a break. It's 2012, and regular Joe Six-Pak doesn't shoot film anymore. IMO it wouldn't really make sense to test lenses out on 35mm anyway when you've got 22 and 36MP FF DSLR's that will give you far more consistent lab results than scanning slides or negs. From what I experienced with the 40mm the other day, shooting wide open, you'll have some pretty muddy corners if you're shooting color neg. The vignetting is pretty insane. I dunno...If you want the size advantage, than you've already justified it. Otherwise a 50mm f/1.8 (or two) is a smarter option.

Also, why not go with the voightlander 40mm f/2?
    Sorry, what forum are we on again?
    Canon EOS-1V | Canon 5D2 | 17-40/4L | 24-105/4L | 14/2.8L | 24/1.4L | 35/1.4L | 50/1.2L | 85/1.2L | 200-400/4L | 580EX

“For me, the camera is a sketch book, an instrument of intuition and spontaneity.”
    ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For christ's sake..

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Seriously, if the OP asks how it performs with a film camera, on a film forum, then that's fair enough! I am curious too - I'm also curious how it suits digital Canons, but there are other useful spots on the internet for that. Singularity is APUG's strength & usefulness.

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Easy, guys; the thought police hasn't heard you yet...
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Just a wild guess but would Canon develop a lens that vignettes on its DSLRs--whether APS-C or FF? Just asking.

Many Nikon DX lenses vignette badly on film bodies because they were made to cover APS-C sensors--not film.
    Yes, Canon develops lenses that vignette worse on a FF DSLR than a film body (crop DSLR's crop much of the vignetting from FF lenses). Film does a better job with light hitting the film plane at odd angles. In some cases, this means a noticeable reduction in vignetting.

Nikon DX lenses vignette badly on film bodies because they're designed for crop sensors, not FF. Many lenses designed for FF DSLR's perform better on film for the reasons mentioned above.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    The sensel/microlens units in digital sensors interact with the projected image in sometimes unpredictable ways. Corner performance is often worse and vignetting often more prominent on digital sensors. We will know how the lens behaves with film when someone tries it... with film.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hovig View Post
    I'm wondering if some of you already got the new Canon EF 40mm pancake. Any feedback? How does the STM work on film EOS cameras? I made a search in APUG posts and did not find any posting regarding this new lens.

Thanks,

Hovig
    I'm curious about this, too. I'm planning to buy the 40mm pancake, but only after I get back from a trip in a month or so. In the mean time, if anyone has purchased this lens and shot it on film, I'd love to see samples.

Quote Originally Posted by F/1.4 View Post
    Also, why not go with the voightlander 40mm f/2?
    The voigtlander is over twice the price and not AF. I'd love to have the Voigtlander, but I'm attracted to the Canon as an inexpensive compact lens with a lot of character to shoot at bar-b-ques and tailgates. The nifty fifty is too long for my taste (plus I have dozens of 50's), and I've always had a thing for pancake lenses.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes, Canon develops lenses that vignette worse on a FF DSLR than a film body (crop DSLR's crop much of the vignetting from FF lenses).

Gee, there must be some really cheesed off EOS FF owners...

Shooter
    Multi Format

JUST ANNOUNCED ! Canon’s New EF 40mm f/2.8 Pancake Lens Doesn’t Waffle on Quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Hovig View Post
    Hi all,

I'm wondering if some of you already got the new Canon EF 40mm pancake. Any feedback? How does the STM work on film EOS cameras? I made a search in APUG posts and did not find any posting regarding this new lens.

Thanks,

Hovig
    Also see;
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum52/9...ke-lenses.html

HOWEVER;

B&H: Canon’s New EF 40mm f/2.8 Pancake Lens Doesn’t Waffle on Quality.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/indepth/...waffle-quality
    Last edited by Vanishing Point Ent.; 07-08-2012 at 05:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin