Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,760   Posts: 1,516,081   Online: 892

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Recommendations for a M/F Nikon zoom

I have a great selection of Nikon M/F primes and wondered if there is a really good M/F zoom. I am looking for something comparable to my 28-105 AF.
    Does anybody have any recommendations?
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I will start this off. There actually may be some decent M/F zooms, however, I have always found that if I want a real keeper, there is no substitute for the primes. I believe you will always get the best results from the primes.....there is no zoom equal.

I will add that at times it is impossible to zoom my body closer or farther away when using a prime....such as any of the M/F 50mm lenses, they just take good pictures. I seem to always get a good photo when using the 50mm, as long as the subject isn't moving much!

I think you will find as this discussion gets rolling, to get a reasonable performing M/F zoom as compared to the primes, you will have to put down some serious money. If you already have a great selection of M/F primes, why mess with zooms.......you already have a great treasure of glass, go out and use them!!

Bob E.
    Nikon F5, Nikon F4S, Nikon FA, Nikon FE, Nikon N90, Nikon N80, Nikon N75, Mamiya 645 Pro, Mamiya Press Super 23, Yashica Lynx 14e, Yashica Electro GSN, Yashica 124G, Yashica D

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Series E 75-150/3.5 is light, sharp and usually very affordable. The 50-135/3.5 is harder to find but also sweet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm hard pressed to think of a manual focus Nikkor with that zoom range, particularly on the wide end. I agree with CGW's recommendations; those are both excellent. For a while I was pairing the 50-135 with the 28-50, but neither is easy to find. Or you could pair the 36-72 E with the 75-150 E, and get a 28.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by stradibarrius View Post
    I have a great selection of Nikon M/F primes and wondered if there is a really good M/F zoom. I am looking for something comparable to my 28-105 AF.
    Does anybody have any recommendations?
    Zooms are only "really good" in comparison to other zooms. None are as good as prime lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Zooms are only "really good" in comparison to other zooms. None are as good as prime lenses.
    Sorry. Disagree. There are great zooms that are much better than some of the crappy primes. Overall most primes are better than most zooms but "none are as good as prime lenses" is not accurate nor makes much sense as a stand-alone statement.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    The Series E 75-150/3.5 is light, sharp and usually very affordable. The 50-135/3.5 is harder to find but also sweet.
    Agree here. The 75-150/3.5 is a terrific zoom. Very sharp. Just find one that is not too loose.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Guess you never shot a AFS 80-200 mm f/2.8 ED-IF. Funny how so many abandoned primes for the various 80-200/2.8s. Wonder why?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Guess you never shot a AFS 80-200 mm f/2.8 ED-IF. Funny how so many abandoned primes for the various 80-200/2.8s. Wonder why?
    I have no clue. Perahaps you'd care to enlighten me?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know why there is all this sarcastic discussion. Seriously, people, take a deep breath.

All things equal, primes are sharper and better than zooms. The problem is that not all things are equal. If there were a larger market for top-quality prime lenses, then we would not be having this discussion because the primes would be superior. Even so, I expect you could find a prime lens somewhere by some company that would be better and sharper than a zoom at any given focal length.

The problem is that if you have your 28 mm lens on your camera, and something happens suddenly in front of you that requires a 105 mm, you either lose the shot, you carry a second body with a 105 mm on it (and lose the shots that need 35, 50, 70 or 85) or you use a zoom and get the shot.

To answer the original poster's question... there really isn't a good manual-focus wide-to-tele zoom that I've found. If you want a lens with that sort of range but good manual-focus feel, the professional AF zooms are awfully good. The 28-70/2.8 is not quite as long in range but will give you decent manual feel on a manual body. I routinely use my 80-200/2.8 and 17-35/2.8 on manual bodies and I don't find myself wanting for more "manual" quality.

The 28-105/3.5-4.5 itself is pretty good too. The focus throw is fairly short, but one can get used to this.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin