Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,513   Posts: 1,543,580   Online: 1119

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Viggi View Post
    You also packing a small digi for backup?
    Good reminder. Yes, I have a Lumix Digital PS that I can bring.

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    The Minolta kit looks a little more versatile than the Pentax, with the 85mm and the fast 58mm. If you think you'll need the 20mm, you could dedicate whichever Pentax is more portable to that lens, and bring it along with the complete Minolta kit.
    I'm not sure if I mentioned this, but the Minolta with the 58/1.2 is probably twice the size AND twice the weight of the Pentax with the 50/1.7.

Quote Originally Posted by ColdEye View Post
    If both of you are gonna shoot, why not use the Pentax for the 20mm and the minolta for the 35/50 and 85mm??
    I'd like to bring down just one system and 2 bodies. That way, I can load up BW in one body and color in another or fast film in one body and velvia in another, and still have all the lenses available to me.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    I'd just stick to the Minolta kit and be done with it - as noted already, it's the more versatile of the two outfits. And a 24 is plenty wide for most situations you'll find yourself in, even if you're photographing in cathedrals. Where in South America are you going? I've been to Buenos Aires, Iguazu Falls in Argentina and Colonia, Uruguay. Even at Iguazu, you can't get a shot of the full span of the falls because it's broken up into sections, so I had no issues with having nothing wider than a 28. The people are worth investing some time photographing, so having those fast 58 and 85 lenses would be a really good idea.
    I agree that 24 is a great wide FL, probably my favorite focal length...But again, the X700 with a 24 is probably 60% larger and heavier than Pentax ME Super or MX with the 20mm. I guess I'm asking, has anyone ever been travelling and wished they'd packed lighter? Has anyone ever been travelling and wished they'd packed faster glass?

Here's a size comparison. ME Super with 50/1.7 and X-700 with 58/1.2:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_5591.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	396.7 KB 
ID:	53008
    And ME Super with 20/4 and X-700 with 24/2.8:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_5594.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	377.0 KB 
ID:	53007

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyMac View Post
    You've got some seriously nice lenses for the Minolta system. The 24 is incredible, the 58 needs no introduction and the 85 is really nice too. I've had all of them at some point but couldn't justify keeping the 58 and 85 thanks to market prices - now I just have a 50/1.4 and 24/2.8.
    Nice. If you have the "right" 50/1.4 (MC PG), its supposed to be the sharpest, most consistent lens Minolta ever made.

I've considered selling the 58 and 85... But they're the best lenses I own, and I want to pass them on to my grandchildren in 50 years.

Shooter
    35mm
    Ok! Thanks! That is a word no normally seen in Film photography!
    You have plenty of advice above. Ultimately, it is your trip and your gear.

I'll echo the advice for the Minolta system, even as you have 2 identical bodies. If one fails, you carry on with the other. If you look at my signature, you'll see I have most of my cameras in duplicate, for the same reasons of usability.
    If weight isn't a problem, I would take the Pentax ME Super with the 20mm or the 35mm. In the last case, I'd leave the Minolta 35mm behind.
    I used to have one of those Pentax years ago It is a very light camera and combined with the light short lenses as the 35mm and it is a good system for street photography.
    Have a nice trip!
    My cameras:
    Fed 2
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F601, F801, F801S, F50, F55, F60, F65, F70, F75, F80, F90, F90X, EL2, FE, FM, FG, FG-20, EM

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I would just take the Pentax MX with the 50mm 1.4 and share it with your girlfriend.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've done a bit of traveling (inc 3 months South America) and I would suggest taking the lightest setup you can . The ME Super would be ideal with just a 50mm lens, spare batteries and plenty of film. I've found even a mini tripod unnecessary - you can always find something to support your camera meters. Use the self timer instead of cable release as it's one less thing to lose . Travel light - you won't regret it especially if your using public transport and doing any amount of walking.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It's always tough trying to decide what to take and I usually over pack and then only use half of the things I've bought. I would probably lean more towards the Pentax since you have a 20, 35 and 50. I would wind up using the 35 most of the time and the 50 when out in the country. The 20 will make for some nice interior wide shots.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BoxBrownie View Post
    I've done a bit of traveling (inc 3 months South America) and I would suggest taking the lightest setup you can . The ME Super would be ideal with just a 50mm lens, spare batteries and plenty of film. I've found even a mini tripod unnecessary - you can always find something to support your camera meters. Use the self timer instead of cable release as it's one less thing to lose . Travel light - you won't regret it especially if your using public transport and doing any amount of walking.
    Thanks for the advice. My girlfriend will want to carry a camera, and so we can still go light and have 2 lens options. If I were to take the MX as a second camera, which lens would you take between the 20/4 and the 35/2?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it were me I'd take the 20 for large depth of field landscapes and architectural shots.
    The less gear you have the better . There will be so many new things to see and photograph you don't want to spend your time fiddling with lots of gear. Spend that time composing great pics.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Take the two Minolta rigs and have fun!
    -----------------------

Segedi.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks, all for your suggestions.

Though the force is strong with the Minolta glass, I think I'm going to opt for the Pentax. ME Super and MX bodies, and either the 50 and 20, or all three lenses. The 20 is so small it fits in a jacket pocket easily.

Again, thanks!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin