Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,719   Posts: 1,514,856   Online: 905

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeblues View Post
    I was just poking around this old thread, and wanted to update it.

We took the Pentax rig with an XA thrown in for good measure. The MX went in for service right before we left, and didn't come back in time to come with us. Our kit was:
    Pentax ME Super
    SMC M 20/4
    SMC M 35/2
    SMC M 50/1.7

Here are some sample pics:
    Jake,

Some nice photos. Looks like you two had a nice trip. Thanks for the followup.

Do you happen to know/remember the name of the art gallery in Medellin, Colombia?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Nice rig!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Jake,

Some nice photos. Looks like you two had a nice trip. Thanks for the followup.

Do you happen to know/remember the name of the art gallery in Medellin, Colombia?
    Yes. The gallery was Museo de Antioquia. http://www.museodeantioquia.org.co/

That city, and that museum in particular, was probably the highlight of the trip for me.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by PentaxBronica View Post
    Wha?

Have a look at some images shot with the standard Pentax-M 50mm f1.7 then tell me if there's a Tamron which is sharper with the same focal length and compact size...

Looks like the OP had a good trip with a camera and lenses which take up very little space. If you liked the ME Super and want something longer to complete the outfit then look for the 75-150mm f4, it's similarly tiny for a lens of that focal length, weighs very little, takes 49mm filters and is very well-regarded.
    I agree about the M 50/1.7. It's a great performer, though I haven't tried the Tamrons for comparison purposes.

I'll look into the 75-150, though I'm not much of a telephoto guy. Those Pentax-M teles are so cheap that they're pretty tempting. Though I have owned a 135/2.8 for my Minolta rig and a 105/2.8 back when I had a Spotmatic, and just absolutely never used them. Even my Minolta 85 almost never gets used. The GF (now fiancee !) and I stick mostly in the 20-50mm range.

Since coming back from South America, I picked up the Pentax K 35mm/3.5 which is a seriously impressive lens, the M 40mm pancake, and the M 28/3.5, both of which I could shoot with all day and never need another lens.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yes. The gallery was Museo de Antioquia. http://www.museodeantioquia.org.co/

That city, and that museum in particular, was probably the highlight of the trip for me.

Cool! Thanks. I have a friend who lives in Medellin. He's always inviting me down there....but, I can never work out the schedule...will have to make time someday.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Cool! Thanks. I have a friend who lives in Medellin. He's always inviting me down there....but, I can never work out the schedule...will have to make time someday.
    I've traveled pretty extensively in Colombia and a little bit in Brazil and Peru. Medellin is my favorite city of those I've visited because the art, public infrastructure, and people just make it a really fun place to hang out. We rode bikes (free) in a large park called Parque Arvi, visited 3 museums, almost went to a $20 orchestra performance of Hayden (timing didn't work out), and ate really really well.

If you can find the time and money to make it down, you should definitely do it.

Shooter
    35mm

Since coming back from South America, I picked up the Pentax K 35mm/3.5 which is a seriously impressive lens, the M 40mm pancake, and the M 28/3.5, both of which I could shoot with all day and never need another lens.
    I don't have the 35mm but I do have the other two and they're brilliant. Must give the 40mm some exercise in fact, I'm mostly using the 50/1.4 on my K2 and the 55/1.8 which came with my second KX at the moment.

Personally I prefer the original K series lenses, but they can be a bit bulky on an M body without a winder to balance things. If you can pick up a cheap winder for the MX then it's worth a go, just be careful when changing batteries as the door is a known weak spot. It's perfectly strong when fitted, but has little plastic tabs which can be broken if someone who didn't bother to read the manual tried to remove it by force!
    Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't have the 35mm but I do have the other two and they're brilliant. Must give the 40mm some exercise in fact, I'm mostly using the 50/1.4 on my K2 and the 55/1.8 which came with my second KX at the moment.

Personally I prefer the original K series lenses, but they can be a bit bulky on an M body without a winder to balance things. If you can pick up a cheap winder for the MX then it's worth a go, just be careful when changing batteries as the door is a known weak spot. It's perfectly strong when fitted, but has little plastic tabs which can be broken if someone who didn't bother to read the manual tried to remove it by force!
    I like K lenses too... They seem to have more in common with the Super Taks and SMC Taks (I believe that their optical formulas and construction often do).

Back when I had a Spottie, my Super Tak 50/1.4 and 28/3.5 gave me some really great results. Pentax's M lenses seem smaller and a bit more hit-and-miss. Ugh. I'm kind of a GAS bulimic, binging and purging. Recently I've been binging Pentax M glass and purging older Pentax glass like Taks.

I've always wanted the K 55/1.8, but I already have too many perfectly good lenses to justify any more.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've now got two of the K 55/1.8. Bought one for £8 a few years ago and now have another which came bundled with the KX for £26. At that price I couldn't pass it by! I keep meaning to strip the first one and regrease it properly as it feels a bit gritty on occasion - it turns smoothly but makes more noise than it should.

The K lenses are mostly direct descendants of the SMC Taks. Some of the later introductions made it into the M series with new markings but otherwise unchanged (the 28-50mm and 80-200mm to name two).
    Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    I've now got two of the K 55/1.8. Bought one for £8 a few years ago and now have another which came bundled with the KX for £26. At that price I couldn't pass it by! I keep meaning to strip the first one and regrease it properly as it feels a bit gritty on occasion - it turns smoothly but makes more noise than it should.

The K lenses are mostly direct descendants of the SMC Taks. Some of the later introductions made it into the M series with new markings but otherwise unchanged (the 28-50mm and 80-200mm to name two).
    I had the 28-50 but sold it because I never used it. I liked the images a lot though.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin