Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,058   Posts: 1,561,485   Online: 901

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Film rig for travel to South America

Hi guys and gals,

So I will be travelling to South America with my girlfriend in 2 weeks, and I'm torn as to which rig I should bring down. I currently have 3 (!) systems: Pentax, Minolta, and Canon. The canon is out because I just don't love the rig.

Here's my dilemma: Minolta for the great lenses, or Pentax for portability?

Note: My girlfriend will be shooting too, so we'll have 2 camera bodies with us to switch out lenses. Here's what I have to work with:

2 Minolta X-700s
    MD 24mm 2.8
    MD 35mm 1.8
    MC 58mm 1.2
    MD 85mm 1.7

Pentax ME Super
    Pentax MX
    SMC Pentax M 20mm 4.0
    SMC Pentax M 35mm 2.0
    SMC Pentax M 50mm 1.7
    SMC Pentax M 50mm 1.4

Any other suggestions for gear to grab before I head out of town? Which rig would you take?

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello!
    which rig I should bring down.
    Could you be so kind as to define "rig", please?

If you are asking what "gear" or "cameras and lenses" you should bring while travelling, then here is some advice:
    Just bring what you are most comfortable with and know how to use with your eyes closed!
    It is no use to bring a camera that you hardly know or are uncomfortable with. You already discounted your Canon, so which of the 2 systems you have, you feel more at ease, that's the one you should bring. The same for your girlfriend.
    Good shooting kid!
    Fed 2, 4, 5
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Olympus OM-1N, OM-2N, OM10, OMG
    A bunch of Nikons
    Ferrania backer

Shooter
    35mm
    The Minolta kit looks a little more versatile than the Pentax, with the 85mm and the fast 58mm. If you think you'll need the 20mm, you could dedicate whichever Pentax is more portable to that lens, and bring it along with the complete Minolta kit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Minolta. And what he ^ said.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If both of you are gonna shoot, why not use the Pentax for the 20mm and the minolta for the 35/50 and 85mm??

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'd just stick to the Minolta kit and be done with it - as noted already, it's the more versatile of the two outfits. And a 24 is plenty wide for most situations you'll find yourself in, even if you're photographing in cathedrals. Where in South America are you going? I've been to Buenos Aires, Iguazu Falls in Argentina and Colonia, Uruguay. Even at Iguazu, you can't get a shot of the full span of the falls because it's broken up into sections, so I had no issues with having nothing wider than a 28. The people are worth investing some time photographing, so having those fast 58 and 85 lenses would be a really good idea.

Shooter
    35mm
    Aye, Minolta for the lens choice. Bring both bodies, so if one croaks you can still make use of the good range of lenses you have. While I shoot 50mm quite a bit, I actually enjoy switching between a wide and short tele a lot. You also packing a small digi for backup?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I always take backup equipment. In that sense, I'd be taking both.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Miranda View Post
    Hello!

Could you be so kind as to define "rig", please?
    I'd define "rig" as a camera system with lenses. So in my vocabulary, "Minolta Rig" = Minolta camera plus some lenses, and "Pentax Rig" = Pentax Camera plus some lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Miranda View Post
    Just bring what you are most comfortable with and know how to use with your eyes closed!
    I've had each system for 2-3 years now, and I'm equally comfortable with them. Actually, the X700 and ME Super handle very similarly, as I often shoot in aperture priority with exposure compensation.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You've got some seriously nice lenses for the Minolta system. The 24 is incredible, the 58 needs no introduction and the 85 is really nice too. I've had all of them at some point but couldn't justify keeping the 58 and 85 thanks to market prices - now I just have a 50/1.4 and 24/2.8.

Additionally, it'll be much easier if you can share lenses between you.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin