Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,503   Posts: 1,543,420   Online: 856

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Camera battery keeps dying

Hey guys first post here on the forums, but been lurking for a few months...

So my camera battery keeps dying on my Yashica FX-3 Super 2000. I shot with it today after it sat for probably close to 3-4 weeks. I only replaced the batteries about 5-6 weeks ago. Before then, the batteries lasted probably close to 3 months. Mind you the batteries only operate the meter...

The only thing I could think that may be causing it would be from sitting in the car sometimes (high heat?)

Any ideas of why they might be dying so quickly? Ia it heat, or could it be something else I am not thinking of?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    First, welcome to the site.
    Second. heat = short battery life.
    Don't leave the camera in the hot car. Heat may also affect the film characteristics.

Mike

Shooter
    35mm
    I believe the meter in that model is turned on by a partial press of the shutter release, no? And, then it's supposed to turn off when you release the button.

Is your meter actually turning off when you release the button or does it stay on?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are you using zinc batteries? You don't have to, you can use just about any of the longer lasting batteries in that camera because it has a voltage regulator in the meter circuit; 1.3 to 1.5 v (x2) should be OK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by stillsilver View Post
    First, welcome to the site.
    Second. heat = short battery life.
    Don't leave the camera in the hot car. Heat may also affect the film characteristics.

Mike
    The cells may have been on the shelf too long. They may have been stored improperly. They may have been cheap alkaline cells.

Leaving your camera in the hot car can cause many more problems than short battery life and funny colors on the film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Instead of using two 1.5v button cells, I would recommend a single lithium CR1/3N - or 2LR76, etc. Shelf life is 10 years, operating temperature range is very wide and power density is high. Not as cheap as two of the button cels but can be much more reliable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    Instead of using two 1.5v button cells, I would recommend a single lithium CR1/3N - or 2LR76, etc. Shelf life is 10 years, operating temperature range is very wide and power density is high. Not as cheap as two of the button cels but can be much more reliable.
    Looks like a good replacement, I'll keep that in mind. Though I can say in a properly functioning FX-3 the silver cells can last a few years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ic-racer is right; battery life should be really long - although I killed a set of MS-76 batteries in my camera bag before the factory LR44 cells died in my non-Super-2000 FX-3. I actually got over a decade on my LR44s.

My camera had a meter actuation button on the back of the camera, just behind the winding lever. I had to press that button to enable the meter.

If the batteries are dying after a few weeks, that says to me either that the meter is being left on somehow, or the camera has some sort of an electrical problem.

Even my electronic cameras like my Nikon FE get years off a set of batteries.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i have a light meter that eats batteries
    the only thing i could do to stop it was
    take the battery out of the meter, if it was to be sitting for any length of time.
    if it isn't too much of a pain, why don't you remove the battery if you aren't going to use the camera ?
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I suggest you take your camera to a service technician and ask him to check it for an electrical fault that's causing excessive battery drain.
    Ben

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin