Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,922   Posts: 1,556,617   Online: 1281

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    600 dollar for Zuiko ? You can buy a Leica lens for that price and 100 times better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    +1 here. 105/2.5 Nikkor is an amazing lens and very sharp yet still quite good for portraits. One of my absolute favorites and much lighter than my legendary 85/1.4 Planar which I use with my Contax system. Guess which gets used WAY more often?
    Agreed. And a 105/2.5 Nikkor is easy to find for under $200.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello,
    the 1:1,4/85 Nikkor is very sharp and has a high contrast, maybe too sharp for portraits; the 1:2/85 mm lens is much cheaper, much smaller and much lighter and not so razor-sharp, it has the usual 52 mm filter thread, wide open it is softer than the 1,4. Since the 1:2,5/105 mm Nikkor has the reputation to be one of the best lenses ever made for the 24x36 format (and I think this could be right), it has a high price.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like my Nikkor 105 2.5 too! also the build is very simple and easy to take apart to clean if needed (I just cleaned my ais version two weeks or so ago).

But then again thats a really nice price for the 85 1.4 Nikkor... and for the Zuiko I would love to have it reading what I have on users experiences with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I own a Zuiko 85mm f/2.0 and as told by Jochen it may not be that sharp but it is good/great enough for portraits esp., when developed with Rodinal 1+25 or 1+50. ;-)

I only have condensor enlarger so I prefer less sharp lens. Most of the times I shoot either with Zuiko 85mm or Vivitar 135mm(not sharp but great for portraits.)
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I would definitely do a side-by-side comparison of the two - when I was looking for a portrait-ish lens for my Contax, I was able to try out both the 85 1.4 and the 100 f2. The 85 1.4 was a whole stop faster, a couple hundred bucks cheaper, and it had a virtually identical field of view. We're talking maybe 2-4 degrees different. Yes, the 85 1.4 is a bigger, heavier lens, but that speed was amazing, especially for shooting in dim light.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    Agreed. And a 105/2.5 Nikkor is easy to find for under $200.
    105 Nikkor. A great, classic lens available in two versions, Sonnar type and Gauss type. The Gauss stops down to f:32, the Sonnar to f:22; the Sonnar is the earlier, and is reputed to be slightly less sharp at close distances. Sometimes can be found (single coated Sonnar) for under $100. This is the lens that got me re-started using the 35mm for portraits, after 10 or 15 years of using 4x5 and 8x10 exclusively.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    600 dollar for Zuiko ? You can buy a Leica lens for that price and 100 times better.
    $600 for the Zuiko 100/2 is an excellent price for a lens which shames most Leica lenses. This not your typical lens.

In the world of Zuikos, the 100/2 is a superstar lens. The others in the same bracket which are exceptional for portraiture are the 90/2 and the 35-80/2.8 zoom. The 100/2.8 and 85/2, which are great lenses in their own right, are not in the same league when you are talking about portraiture.

Ken
    http://www.zone-10.com

When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    85/1.4=narrower DOF wide open.
    Bokeh? Don't know, don't care.
    As someone suggested, since they're local to you, shoot a few frames with each. You pays your money and takes your pick.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I vote for the Nikkor 105/2.5 Ai (not the AIS cause it has that ridiculous built in hood that never stays in place). Cheap, sharp, sharp. Did I say sharp?
    Akiva S.

Nikkormat FTN, Nikon F, Nikon FE, Leica M3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero/

My Blog

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin