Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,579   Online: 987

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Nikon 85mm f1.4 AIS or Zuiko 100mm f2

I have a Nikon FM2n and Olympus OM2n and I want a portrait lens, I'm undecided between these two. I walked into the camera store and found, what I think, are very good prices for both of these lenses ($395 for Nikkor and $594.95 for Zuiko).

How do these compare in terms of bokeh and sharpness? Or is it really 85mm FOV vs 100mm FOV. I have no experience with a telephoto so I'm not sure which FOV I'd prefer.

Shooter
    35mm
    What about the zuiko 85/2? Really sharp, gives you apples to apples focal length comparison. Slower, but said to be one of the sharpest Zuikos. Of course, if you will shoot in bright light, maybe go Nikon to take advantage of the higher shutter speed 1/4000 vs. 1/1000 on the FM2n.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A sharp lens isn't always the best choice for portraits.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yeah actually I did think about the Zuiko 85mm f2, it's been on my mind, and I was going to start looking for one of those or possibly a Zuiko 100mm f2.8, but today when I walked into the camera store I saw two steller portrait lenses. I didn't really look into the Nikon so much but the Zuiko 100mm f2 sells closer to 1k from what I've read. So it seemed to be a better deal.

I think 85mm is a better focal length in this format because I have a better chance of holding it at a slower shutter speed (maybe) and it is probably a better walk-around lens. I might go for that one or maybe a Zuiko 85mm f2.
    Last edited by vegeotto; 06-30-2012 at 09:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's a low price for the 100mm f2 Zuiko. I won't sell mine for any price. It is one of the few Zuikos to used ED glass. My copy of the 100mm f2 Zuiko is extremely sharp and a wonderful low light medium telephoto.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was going to say that's a great price for the Nikkor. I know the 100/2 and 85/2 Zuikos have fine reputations, but the Nikkor seems to always be on the short list of the very best manual focus Nikkors. I would jump on it for that price, myself.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Man, makes me want to jump on both, then sell the loser. They both seem like great deals.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have no experience of the Zuiko 100/2, but I have been using Nikkor 85/1.4 since the mid 80's and you will not be disappointed with this lens.
    If both lenses are available at the same shop you might be able to take a test roll with each of them and compare.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If it's mainly for portraits, then why go for such high speed lenses?....My favourite portrait lens is the 105mm 2.5 Nikkor. I would tend to use f4 for the majority of my outdoor portraits. With f1.4 or f2, that's going to give you very little depth of field close in. The only time I would use a lens that fast would be indoor available light or night time shots.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rolleiman View Post
    If it's mainly for portraits, then why go for such high speed lenses?....My favourite portrait lens is the 105mm 2.5 Nikkor. I would tend to use f4 for the majority of my outdoor portraits. With f1.4 or f2, that's going to give you very little depth of field close in. The only time I would use a lens that fast would be indoor available light or night time shots.
    +1 here. 105/2.5 Nikkor is an amazing lens and very sharp yet still quite good for portraits. One of my absolute favorites and much lighter than my legendary 85/1.4 Planar which I use with my Contax system. Guess which gets used WAY more often?
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin