Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,572   Posts: 1,545,652   Online: 978

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    Is it possible for you to shoot at 1/250? I never think the FP flash (first introduced by Olympus for the OM-4Ti) is a good idea. It wastes so much flash power and I never have enough flash power.

Yes, I'll continue shoot at this speed where I need fill-in flash for example but sadly it won't work to freeze rapid movement (which of course is magnified when using macro).

...and you're right about flash power. I have a seperate Quantum battery for each SB600 flash and I only get about 100-150 flashes beofre power dies off completely - rather annoying.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think you are going about this the wrong way....

You said "I use the flash manually (set as M1/1 full power) and set the camera to manual and set the shutter speed as required to freeze the moving insect, e.g., 1/4000th second."

What happens is, if you set your flash manually and go "boof", the flash tube starts to illuminate and stops illuminating while the shutter is only partially open. In such a high speed of shutter setup, you have a small slit going across your frame. So only portion of the exposure is lit by the flash. The "FP" mode causes the flash to pulsate for duration. I don't think this works if you set it in manual mode. You told the flash to go full power all at once and you told the camera to go 1/4000.

If what you want to do is to stop motion, why not set the shutter speed at or below SYNC, close the aperture as much as you can so ambient won't be a factor, then let the very short duration of flash itself be the exposure? It will stop the motion because flash is only "on" for no longer than 1/1000 seconds, more like 1/4000 as you want it.

I agree, this isn't a digital/analog issue. It's a lighting and using flash issue.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well seeing as the Nikon F6 film camera supports Nikon's newest iTTL flash system, there is really no difference between it and a newer type electronic capture cameras in discussions of macro flash technique.
    See http://www.vistek.ca/pdfs/nikonf6.pdf , the F6 supports X-sync to 1/8000 sec in Auto FP mode.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-D659 View Post
    Well seeing as the Nikon F6 film camera supports Nikon's newest iTTL flash system, there is really no difference between it and a newer type electronic capture cameras in discussions of macro flash technique.
    I wonder if the F6 supports iTTL combined with off-the-film measurement. I expect not.

If not, is the F6 still compatible with the older-style film TTL which is really superior?

The iTTL compatibility is nice because the F6 properly supports modern Nikon flash units, so you can at least use newer flashes in TTL mode, but from what I understand, you may get better results (and certainly never worse) with the older through-the-lens and off-the-film TTL.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    i-TTL is not off the film even with the F6. But I think F6 can use other TTL mode.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some reports say it supports i-TTL OTF flash, and it does support the previous version of TTL flash as well.
    Bob

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin