Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,265   Online: 815

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Film revival

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Guys, no digital camera manufacturer (Nikon, Canon) is going to release a new film camera, ever. The entire MO of the digital stuff is to keep people on the upgrade train. It's no longer about cameras and instead about electronics (computers). They're not going to release something that will self-cannibalize their cash cow and get people out of the buy-use-trash mentality. It makes them too much money.

There's a reason people are still using Nikon F, F2s, and whatever else today, because nothing needs to be changed. When the mindset changed from servicing well made products to producing consumptive products the game was over.

That being said, it doesn't mean one cannot successfully use film cameras it just means the big producers aren't going to be creating new technology that can be reused for 50 years (a deeper problem, itself).
    And no major company would ever release a rangefinder camera. Oh, wait! Nikon released the SP and S3 a few years ago.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo-gear View Post
    Instead of making F5s or F6s, Nikon should start over with F100s or a new version, let's say F200 ! Less expensive than the previous ones and still attractive.
    It won't be cheaper than the $700 B+H is asking for brand new F100's, which they still have 6 years after it was discontinued. F100's had cost much more than that when they were in production, but B+H knows what they can get for them now. Nikon couldn't make and sell a camera of the F100's quality and sophistication for $700.

Even a converted digital body would require development and new design, which is not cheap. Is there any market, given that the admirable F100 is still available new, and at what would have been a fantastic price more a decade ago?
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a few 35mm cameras including the Nikon FM, F3HP and F5. I don't feel I want another new Nikon at all. I do feel I want some older Nikon like an F2AS and may be a version of the F. I have no fear of running out of cameras, I do fear however that I might run out of film and chemical to process them with.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'm just the opposite Chan. I'm more concerned the prices for good film cameras will keep getting higher as they're more difficult to find but so long as they can sell film someone will be making it (the "impossible project" with Polaroid film is an example) and the chemistry to go along with it. Of course, there are resourceful folks in APUG who will make their own emulsions if they can't get what they need any other way

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo View Post
    Since I will be moving to Jax next year, (my wife is a native) it's good to hear that I won't have left the center of the universe for a barren outer planet. LOL! Kidding of course...but only by a bit if I gave into my worst fears. There used to be a wonderful camera store in Jacksonville (I've forgotten the name) and when it closed I was very sad. They carried film, paper and chemicals, and I would have been happy to patronize them rather than order on line. So your news is good news to me.
    Your are probably thinking of Orben's Camera in the old San Marco area. One of the former owners is a member of the Jacksonville Camera Club. I see that you are in Monroe, NY. Back in the 70's my wife and I lived in Middletown. Drop me a PM and let me know when you will be moving down here.
    Graham from St. Augustine, FL

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Look, if there is demand, they will make them. It's as simple as that. Right now the demand can be met with used gear that is still, compared to what it cost new and compared to the latest whizbang DSLRs (but not the low end ones, necessarily) in real terms pretty darned cheap. As folks have pointed out there are still new 35mm SLRs available as well as medium format cameras (a few) and all the large format you could want, the latter for bargain prices new compared to equally good cameras some years back.

The thing is, I doubt a new design would be something like an F100. People shooting film want to go back to an older technology and simpler approach anyway. If tooling is lost others can be designed and manufactured using modern methods. In fact I'd think this would be more likely, for cost savings, even if the tooling hasn't been lost. It's not rocket science. It's not even rocket age science.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think Leica has built a good business model to support ongoing film camera manufacturing. They are now basically a lens and digital camera company. The also make film camera bodies for their M lenses. From what I understand they manufacture film bodies based upon demand and spare factory capacity. Zeiss/Cosina/Voitlander has the somewhat similar models.

The common thread here is that lenses from these companies do not have any electronics in them, thereby, providing great flexibility in camera body design. I would think it might be hard for companies like Nikon or Cannon to adopt something similar given their current product line.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Film is NOT a Four-Letter Word !

You know the funny thing is, since I've discovered the remarkable
    Contax G2 w Zeiss lenses, ( especially the 28 & 21 mm Biogons ),
    I have no need for a digital camera at all, because with the lack of
    distortion produced by the Biogons, I can get an image look, that
    NO Digital camera, nor Photoshop program or Inaction can produce.

So much so, that I went and added a Voigtlander Bessa L with a pair
    of Ultrawides, ( the 12 & 15 mm LTM lenses. ) !

I am more than pleased.
    I still have my Canon EOS systems, but I use them less & less.

But it's all still better than having to buy an all new camera, computer
    hardware & software systems every year & a half.
    Last edited by Vanishing Point Ent.; 07-08-2012 at 04:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    For curiosity sake I looked at the Cosina site which lead me to dealers who sell their cameras. A nice new 35mm is about the price of a lower end dslr. Once thing I came across with Leica....they have a Digital model that sells for $22k....I don't know who can even think of justifying a camera at that price????? (For that price it had better transmit the images automatically to my computer, make them perfect in LR4 and post them up to the desired locations and "tweet" that it's done so!!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanishing Point Ent. View Post
    Film is NOT a Four-Letter Word !

You know the funny thing is, since I've discovered the remarkable
    Contax G2 w Zeiss lenses, ( especially the 28 & 21 mm Biogons ),
    I have no need for a digital camera at all, because with the lack of
    distortion produced by the Biogons, I can get an image look, that
    NO Digital camera, nor Photoshop program or Inaction can produce.

So much so, that I went and added a Voigtlander Bessa L with a pair
    of Ultrawides, ( the 12 & 15 mm LTM lenses. ) !

I am more than pleased.
    I still have my Canon EOS systems, but I use them less & less.

But it's all still better than having to buy an all new camera, computer
    hardware & software systems every year & a half.
    Sorry but FILM IS a 4 letter word! I don't think there is a need to introduce new film camera now. If film photography picks up and the old cameras run out then I am sure manufacturers will make them. I do agree with Roger that there are more likely that film users will want simpler cameras rather than the complex auto everything ones.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin