Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,584   Online: 1093

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Film revival

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cepwin View Post
    For curiosity sake I looked at the Cosina site which lead me to dealers who sell their cameras. A nice new 35mm is about the price of a lower end dslr. Once thing I came across with Leica....they have a Digital model that sells for $22k....I don't know who can even think of justifying a camera at that price????? (For that price it had better transmit the images automatically to my computer, make them perfect in LR4 and post them up to the desired locations and "tweet" that it's done so!!
    I wish I could have the Cosina link, so I could inquire by myself.

Shooter
    35mm
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format

Film is NOT a Four-Letter Word !

Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    Sorry but FILM IS a 4 letter word !
    You didn't get the double entendre'.

I don't think there is a need to introduce new film camera now.
    If film photography picks up and the old cameras run out then I am sure manufacturers will
    make them. I do agree with Roger that there are more likely that film users will want simpler
    cameras rather than the complex auto everything ones.
    35 mm film cameras will NEVER come back, ( except for maybe Leica & Voigtlander ),
    due to the change in marketability, by the manufacturers, of their cameras.

Film cameras because of their long shelf & long use life, never had the sales of digital
    cameras.
    EX. How long was the Nikon F3 produced & how cherished is it today, STILL ?
    They even tried to produce a Nikon F3 with AF !

When you can bring out a new body every 1.5 yrs, which then requires new computer
    software & hardware, short-term profitability for camera manufacturers goes up.

THAT'S ALL THEY CARE ABOUT NOW !

Shooter
    35mm
    Sorry but FILM IS a 4 letter word! I don't think there is a need to introduce new film camera now. If film photography picks up and the old cameras run out then I am sure manufacturers will make them. I do agree with Roger that there are more likely that film users will want simpler cameras rather than the complex auto everything ones.
    My present camera is an auto-everything Pentax film SLR. Do I use all that automatic stuff? No, not all of it. Not by a long shot. This baby has more modes than I'll ever use. I do use the AF most of the time because my eyes aren't what they used to be, but there are times when I turn it off (especially when it's blatantly obvious that the AF missed). Do I use the Auto exposure? Sure. But I seldom let the camera pick both the aperture and the shutter speed. I pick one, and let the camera pick the other, depending on the situation. And if I really want to, I can turn all the automation off with a button press and the flick of a dial.

I like that the automation is there if I want it, and when I don't want it, I can easily turn it off without going through a zillion menu items to do it.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The thuoght occurs to me that with Fuji (possibly) becoming the biggest world producer of film, they might think of producing a serious 35mm film camera? After all it couid be in their business interests to do so. They've already surprised everyone with the excellence of their "X series" digi rangefinders, which many think equals the M9 at a fraction of the price. Supposing they came up with film rangefinder to seriously rival Leica's M6..and at a third of the price!....Now wouln't that be something?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rolleiman View Post
    Supposing they came up with film rangefinder to seriously rival Leica's M6..and at a third of the price
    Not sure about 1/3 of the price, however... http://news.cnet.com/8301-13641_3-9863657-44.html

Introduced a few years ago.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Not sure about 1/3 of the price, however... http://news.cnet.com/8301-13641_3-9863657-44.html

Introduced a few years ago.

Steve.

Yes, I know about their much heralded 6x7 folder. Haven't tried it myself, !but it has an excellent reputation. I was thinking along 35mm lines. Think what a successful film version of Fuji's X series digi cameras, could do for the same company's sales of Velvia!....Mutual benefit.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rolleiman View Post
    Think what a successful film version of Fuji's X series digi cameras, could do for the same company's sales of Velvia!....Mutual benefit.
    You are right that it's in their own interest to provide the tools to use their product. It's all down to demand though. Whilst there are many secondhand film cameras available as can be seen by looking at Ebay listings, the demand will be low. If this situation ever changes then perhaps Fujifilm will look into it.

They are receptive to customer requests. They brought back Velvia 50 after customer demand. The same is true of Kodak who originally planned Ektar 100 to be 35mm only but then due to demand, produced it in 120 and even more surprisingly, in 5x4 and 10x8.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes, agreed, it's really up to us film users to keep badgering the relevant companies to produce products we want to use. I don't expect Fuji to think about producing a viable 35mm camera until possibly sometime in the future. As you say there's still a lot of s/h film bodies around in reasonable condition (which says something for the longevity of film cameras over digital). .......However, have you tried buying a decent used M6 or M4 lately for an affordable price?......Prices of all used "classic" models...e.g Nikon F, Leica M series, even the comparatively recent Voigtlander Bessas, are definitely on the rise.

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't know when it was launched, anyway Fujifilm launched for the sole Japanese market as far as I understand a compact film camera, Fujifilm Natura Classica, which is supposed to be mainly used with the film Natura Classica 1600. Above 800 ISO it has an NP mode (pure marketing stuff I did not even care about understanding what it is) which is supposed to be used with fast film.

I wish them very good luck, and I also think that, in a sense, they are doing the right thing in proposing film in low light situations.

http://microsites.lomography.com/fujinatura/about

PS I read somewhere that the maximum aperture is not very close, something f/8 or less, so with high ISO and full light the camera doesn't give much room for choices and risks overexposing.

PPS Forget the gallery, it is in pure crap style.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin