Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,226   Online: 786

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Film revival

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagepics View Post
    Tell him next time just to shoot the whole thing on video, and post the frames. Whats the difference.
    That's exactly where I believe digital is heading. With video increasingly available on digi still cameras......If you're going to have cameras with a 10 frames a second capability, then you might as well shoot it on video and select any frame you want from that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rolleiman View Post
    That's exactly where I believe digital is heading. With video increasingly available on digi still cameras......If you're going to have cameras with a 10 frames a second capability, then you might as well shoot it on video and select any frame you want from that.
    That would be far more work than it is worth. A football match is 90 mins. If you were to record the whole at 24 fps. That would be 129,600 frames. 30 fps would be 162,000 frames. Who is going to do the editing by the deadline for the next days distrubution.

Furthermore, why can we not just talk about the revival of film? Why must these dicussions about digital occur? Digital is here and is fesible, no reason to rehash this.
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Speaking of the revival of film, I just got back from visiting me family over the last holiday week and saw an interesting thing. I drove up to the top of a volcano and some mountain bikers just arrived. While standing around with the other tourists, they pulled out a pair of Holga 35mm and asked some folks to take their picture (quickly bewildering them). I was there with my Pentax ME and Olympus XA, and my girlfriend had her Nikon FE around her neck. Some other people started talking and the inevitable "I have one of those somewhere at home! I need to get some film and shoot it again" comments were made.

lovely stuff
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My then-fiance and I hiked to the top of the Roan Mountain balds on the TN-NC state line. The Appalachian trail cross there too. We passed several hikers who all commented approvingly on my Yashicamat. People into that sort of thing often appreciate older stuff.

Shooter
    35mm
    The other thing to consider is wear on cameras.

DSLRs do wear out, and the "spray and pray" crowd will need a new camera long before those of us reared on film.

I don't see a market for a new 35mm SLR just yet as there are so many perfectly usable ones on ebay for next to nothing here. I've paid 99p for a Pentax P30 body in perfect working order before now, stuffed a roll of film in the back and a £5 50mm f2 on the front (cheap as I had to clean a load of fungus out, but it's perfect now) and had something which could match a few thousand pounds worth of pro DSLR for less than a couple of rounds of drinks in most pubs.
    Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkroom317 View Post
    That would be far more work than it is worth. A football match is 90 mins. If you were to record the whole at 24 fps. That would be 129,600 frames. 30 fps would be 162,000 frames. Who is going to do the editing by the deadline for the next days distrubution.

Furthermore, why can we not just talk about the revival of film? Why must these dicussions about digital occur? Digital is here and is fesible, no reason to rehash this.

Increasingly this is how many sports photographers work. However they don't video the entire game, just selected snatches, which are transmitted to the picture desk to edit out into still frames.

I agree we should talk about the revival of film. However think upon this; if the current trend of incorporating more video facilities into still digi cameras continues, will it reach the point where digital cameras become primarily video? (which appeals to the consumer more anyway). If this happens, then still digital cameras could cease to exist. Then will we see a gap in the market filled by the re-introduction of high quality film cameras? It's an interesting thought.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I agree we should talk about the revival of film. However think upon this; if the current trend of incorporating more video facilities into still digi cameras continues, will it reach the point where digital cameras become primarily video? (which appeals to the consumer more anyway). If this happens, then still digital cameras could cease to exist. Then will we see a gap in the market filled by the re-introduction of high quality film cameras? It's an interesting thought.

What's "interesting" is that you've got it assbackwards. DSLRs capable of 1080p video at high variable frame rates with few focus glitches are putting the hurt on consumer grade camcorder sales.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ^^True that, CGW, but what with electronic viewfinders and all, it seems to me that it could reverse in the future, with combo video/still cameras adopting more the camcorder ergonomics.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That is no interest to us in this thread.
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    ^^True that, CGW, but what with electronic viewfinders and all, it seems to me that it could reverse in the future, with combo video/still cameras adopting more the camcorder ergonomics.
    I think we're already there. Articulated LCDs are common on many DSLRs. The new Sony NEX cameras are mirrorless with EVFs and LCDs only on the cheaper models with menu-driven controls.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin