Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,694   Posts: 1,549,004   Online: 854

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

three nikons, same fault!

this puzzles me... i have three nikons with the same mfault! two fms and one nikon afehave their film advance lever and the shutter release stuck ,and i don't know how to free them up.any ideas before they go to expensive repair?
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't know if used these cameras have been used with a motor, but it is possible to jam the FM if a motor is mounted or unmounted incorrectly; I can't remember the exact sequence, but I did it a couple times myself back when I owned an FM. I assume the FE is similar. I think you can clear that type of jam by touching a coin to the motor contacts.

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Recently I bought used F3 that releases shutter on the last steps of film winding. Sometimes it runs whole 36 ex.roll with out problem, sometimes it happens 10 or 20 frames in the row??? Engaging multiple exposure lever helps it to start functioning OK, but I still can't figure out what is the problem. It's also very hard to figure out by repair guy. It was already in service but he could't pinpoint where is the problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pop open the bottom and see if you can prod a little and find a release lever. Usually that works with jammed cameras.

Sometimes it can also be the camera stuck in rewind position. Usually the same area has a release for that as well.

The fms should free up, if the other has an electronically controlled shutter there is a chance the magnets have screwed up as well.

Try it out, I have fixed many many cameras by opening up the bottom an tinkering a bit.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nikon.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	129.3 KB 
ID:	53598

Ralph , have a look at that firing pin , it releases the shutter from the bottom placed pin. May be it helps to recover one of your camera.

Good luck,

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ralph, I have no hints or advise, but since these are the only three Nikon plate cameras in the entire universe, I hope you get them working!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Sometimes the vertical travel shutter on these gets hung up. It usually happens when you try to advance the camera too quickly.

You can try this at your own risk... But it has worked for me several times.

Take the lens off the camera. Grasp camera in one hand, and quickly and really crisply slam the camera into the palm of your opposite hand, base plate down into your hand.

You have to do this pretty firmly (but not so hard as to cause pain to your open hand).

Repeat a couple of times until you hear the shutter make a sound liked it has closed.

Good luck. On the FE, make sure the battery is good.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Ahhh, that's the problem--trying to shoot plates in a Nikon, and you're surprised it's giving you film advance problems.

Well, I guess we can move this thread to the 35mm forum.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nikon.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	129.3 KB 
ID:	53598

Ralph , have a look at that firing pin , it releases the shutter from the bottom placed pin. May be it helps to recover one of your camera.

Good luck,

Umut
    Also check the cocking lever... that tends to jam.

And as larry sez: make sure the FE battery is good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i tinkered with everything related to the film advance mechanism, and they are all working again.... for now.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin