Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,041   Posts: 1,560,694   Online: 1003

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

OM-1 on the way! Battery question

Hi all, I am really excited, I have got my 1st film 35mm coming, an OM-1

I have read that the camera needs to be converted to run on non-mercury 1.5v batts.

However, I have seen this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1906937184...#ht_500wt_1054

Will this work instead of converting my camera??

Thanks

Paul
    Speed Graphic, Fuji GX680,Pentax 67, Mamiya RZ67, Mamiya 645 1000s, Nikon F5, Nikon Fm2

Shooter
    35mm
    These Wein cells do work but they have a limited life after opening as they work on a chemical reaction on exposure to air. Another option is a converter for 386 batteries such as the one offered by the Small Battery Company http://www.smallbattery.company.org....r9_adapter.htm. These are quite expensive but should last a good while and may be cheaper in the long run if you shoot a lot.
    " ... a cook who relies on nothing but a sharp knife has no guarantee of producing excellent dishes." - Yoshihisa Maitani

Shooter
    127 Format
    Yes. But consider hearing-aid batteries. They are the same thing for about 1/5 the cost. Zinc-air batteries only last about 3 months. And keep an eye on them for corrosion. (Wein cells included)
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Contact Jon Goodman - JGood21967@aol.com - he sells adapters that permit use of the really inexpensive hearing aid batteries in cameras that were designed for the PX13 battery. I have no connection with Jon - just a satisfied customer.

The hearing aid batteries (and the Wein cells) supply the right voltage and current. The adapter deals with the fact that the hearing aid batteries are physically much smaller than the PX13s.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If I remember correctly the battery on the OM1 is only needed to operate the exposure meter. The camera will work perfectly without it. An external hand held meter is the better way to go, IMHO.

Regards,
    John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Forget about the built-in meter. You can get a very nice incident meter which will do a great job for you...
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    35mm
    Use MR9 adapter sold here: www.criscam.com John

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    As you are in the UK, I can strongly recommend Mike Spencer at http://www.camerarepairs-r-us.co.uk/

He's serviced and re-foamed 1 x OM1 and 2 x OM2 for me. When he services OM-1 he will convert to use SR44 silver cells which works perfectly. Old school and a real gent. It is worth reminding if you haven't had OM before that they had foam over the prisms under the top cover which degrades over time and corrodes the silvering. If the door/mirror foams are sticky, so will the prism foam be!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    He is indeed a very nice gentleman. You can call him and tell what exactly you want or the problems. Very reasonable pricing.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    All OM1 and 2 will have to be serviced anyway as the light seals almost certain will be deteriorated to some sticky goo. This stuff is also used to inside the housing and will ruin the prism by the time if it not already hasn't. So I strongly recommend a CLA. The cam is worth it. Every qualified repairsman will then convert the camera to 1.5V

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin