Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,889   Posts: 1,520,794   Online: 1160

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What ever happened to the days of a brassed nikon F and some camel non filters or a Cuban.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	web_Z7S2131.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	403.7 KB 
ID:	53751

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Smoking while you shoot adds atmosphere to your photos, atmosphere which is usually invisible if you don't smoke.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Smoking adds atmosphere to your photos, atmosphere which is usually invisible if you don't smoke.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Cigarette smoke

I should add also that since your photos might get more valuable after you die, smoking dramatically increases the appreciation rate of your art.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    What ever happened to the days of a brassed nikon F and some camel non filters or a Cuban.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	web_Z7S2131.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	403.7 KB 
ID:	53751
    Those days are gone. The Camel/El Ropo smokers all died of emphysema and mouth cancer, and we are buying up their cameras at bargain prices.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought a eos1-n off ebay several years back that was a smoker's camera/ashtray. The seller forgot to mention it. As of recently, it no longer smells but the shutter has failed so it's time to remove the lens and use it as a proper ashtray.
    Keh has a ton of gear listed as "sticky" by the way.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    35mm
    I've had one or two cameras from ebay which reeked of tobacco. They do stop smelling after a while though!

I found that cleaning the body (pay special attention to the leatherette wrapping as dust and dirt congregates in the crinkles) with a glasses wipe before replacing the light seals helped, after which I left the camera with the back open in an empty room for a few days. It did have a bit of trouble with the film speed/exposure compensation dial which led it to underexpose by two stops most of the time, but a few drops of computer monitor cleaning spray into the relevant potentiometer followed by turning it back and forth solved that one.

Remember, smells are particle based. The reek of tobacco comes from the soot landing in the nooks and crannies of the camera. The smell doesn't transfer to the camera and will go when you clean it.
    Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    I thank all here for the thoughtful responses.

I, too, was puzzled by KEH selling me this camera. It was in one of their higher condition grades, too.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    It can be, if exposed to enough of it. Though mostly in the form of a film (deposit). Perhaps most troubling on optical surfaces (e.g. viewfinder, mirror, etc.). Most of the time it's just on the outside though. I prefer to use a product called "Endust Electronics Cleaner" which comes in a spray can, and can be applied to a soft microfiber cloth to clean the camera. Doesn't leave it feeling greasy, dispels static and dust and smells decent. It's not necessarily easy to find, but is located near furniture cleaning products in your local grocery store.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by FilmOnly View Post
    I thank all here for the thoughtful responses.

I, too, was puzzled by KEH selling me this camera. It was in one of their higher condition grades, too.
    I am petrified...
    Tobacco smoking habit is a perfect example of how easy it is, to brainwash an (almost) entire population, within the short time span of a single generation.
    Not so long ago, you had Hollywood movies, with all the actors puffing like locomotives!
    Right now, some tobacco smell is enough to disqualify a camera as being a first grade choice.
    There must be something that evades my understanding capabilities. Maybe my 54 years old brain cells are too gummed up by my long tem smoking habit, to be up to the task anymore.
    Nevertheless, i think i can still remember many non-smokers using my cameras at length, with full satisfaction, and without complaining about the stink.
    Letting the health-related problems aside (the killer combination is tobacco PLUS fatty, high-colesterol, junk food), i still remember the days, when ordinary non-smoking people didn't feel any disgust, if exposed to a smoky environment. Only a small minority found it unbearable, probably because they were allergic to one of the myriad of volatile substances, produced by a burning cigarette.
    There must be something cultural, involved in this change of perception... i just marvel at how sudden that change has been. Usually behavioral changes take a lot more time.

Many great photographers were heavy smokers, and that habit didn't affect their pictures, or cause any major problems to the tools they used.
    If you keep your front lens capped, when not in use, it's just a problem with the exterior of the camera - usually a leatherette in need of a good cleaning. There are even some products meant to remove the odour.
    BTW, if you don't use the front lens as an ashtray, it should be perfectly cleanable.
    I found that all greasy residues (plus most fungal growth) are treated with very good results, using ROR (Residual Oil Remover) lens cleaner.

We are in a photographic forum, so i am going to spare you any sociological consideration... just a small question:
    why all the following "inventions" originated in the USA?
    - drug prohibitionism (early 1900)
    - alcohol prohibitionism
    - the so called "war on drugs" in Central and South America
    - present not-so-subtle criminalization of tobacco smoking (while poisonous food is still actively promoted)
    I don't have a single answer, but i think that asking yourself a couple of questions, every now and then, could even help in understanding if a problem with the odour of a camera has to do more with your own senses, or with the cultural boundaries we accept as a revealed truth.
    Of course, everyone would find his own personal answer.

have fun

CJ

Sent from my Android tablet
    Last edited by cyberjunkie; 07-11-2012 at 01:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Getting back from digital to LF (mostly 5x7" and 8x10")
    selling Linhof Technika III 4x5" (fifth version, graflock back), Mamiya Press outfit + lenses, plus many LF lenses
    trading for soft focus lenses with 8x10" coverage - EU users preferred
    Photographica Flickr sets
    For sale

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin