Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,995   Posts: 1,524,273   Online: 878

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leica cameras

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Have Leitz ever made a camera which is an improvement on the M2 in terms of design and function? If so, in what way?
    Leicaflex SL. Better metering, better viewfinder, easier to hold still, no need for auxiliary viewfinders.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A cheeky response, but true! I guess I'm not sure what the original poster was getting at. Would an M2 successor with the same simple framelines, but maybe with a meter, crank rewind, same frame counter be the goal? No such camera exists.

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Leicaflex SL. Better metering, better viewfinder, easier to hold still, no need for auxiliary viewfinders.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Merritt View Post
    A cheeky response, but true! I guess I'm not sure what the original poster was getting at. Would an M2 successor with the same simple framelines, but maybe with a meter, crank rewind, same frame counter be the goal? No such camera exists.
    It's a case of a poorly posed question.

I like rangefinders, I've had a couple M3s, but an SLR is a more versatile camera for me. The original Lecaflex lineup are the only SLRs Leica made that I would consider owning as a day to day user, they lost it with the R3 and never got it back with susequent models.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I never could understood Leica. Sure, the M series lenses were sharper than the Zeiss lenses on my Contax 139 because they didn't have to design them around a mirror. The problem was, for the price of a Leica I would rather have invested my money into a medium format camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    I never could understood Leica. Sure, the M series lenses were sharper than the Zeiss lenses on my Contax 139 because they didn't have to design them around a mirror. The problem was, for the price of a Leica I would rather have invested my money into a medium format camera.
    The difference between the rangefinder lenses and the SLR lenses is really only in the wide angle lenses. Even between the R Leica lenses and M series lenses. Once you get over 50mm in focal length, those differences (due to the retrofocus design) vanish.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I was reading a speech by Willy Fleckhaus, art director for Twen in Germany in the '60s

His topic was "Overdesigned" and I kept thinking about the Leica M2 when reading the explanation of the topic...

"I am here speaking about over-designing. I heard this phrase in America and was very impressed with it, because it is not possible to translate it into German."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    ...Willy Fleckhaus.... "I am here speaking about over-designing. I heard this phrase in America and was very impressed with it, because it is not possible to translate it into German."
    That's seriously funny, Bill! Engineers have a very special status in Germany, from what I understand.

The cameras may be engineered to oblivion. A few years ago, when I first tested a Leica, I was a little bit perplexed that I couldn't tell much of a difference between a 50mm Summicron and a Pentax 50mm lens, judging from prints I made on a Leitz V35 enlarger. Same film, same developer, same paper, same contrast... and basically the same resulting print.
    But, and this is a big deal for me, I absolutely love using the Leica, and by comparison the Pentax SLRs (and many others I have tried including Nikon, Canon, Olympus, etc), are downright clunky by comparison. It is just an elegant piece of machinery that puts me in a state of mind that is more conducive to creating good negatives than any other camera I have tried. It's a matter of feeling at one with the camera.

I realize that not everybody will like a Leica camera. But to me, my M2 is a dream machine, and I cannot imagine a better tool.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    It's a case of a poorly posed question.

I like rangefinders, I've had a couple M3s, but an SLR is a more versatile camera for me. The original Lecaflex lineup are the only SLRs Leica made that I would consider owning as a day to day user, they lost it with the R3 and never got it back with susequent models.

Not even with the R6-2..?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rolleiman View Post
    Not even with the R6-2..?
    "never got it back with subsequent models"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    I was reading a speech by Willy Fleckhaus, art director for Twen in Germany in the '60s

His topic was "Overdesigned" and I kept thinking about the Leica M2 when reading the explanation of the topic...

"I am here speaking about over-designing. I heard this phrase in America and was very impressed with it, because it is not possible to translate it into German."
    No need of translation, it's inherent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siemens-Halske_Sh.III

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin