Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,211   Online: 940

View Poll Results: Do you prefer 35mm or 50mm focal length in 135 format?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • 35mm

42 48.28%
  • 50mm

45 51.72%
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    35, no doubt. My very best: Leica Summilux-M 1:1.4 / 35
    Jose A. Martinez

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerevan View Post
    I am a 50's man, the Nikkor-H 50/2 to be more specific.
    That and the 105/2.5 (Sonnar version) are my two favorite Nikkors.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am absolutely a fan of the 35mm focal length. I quite enjoy the 35mm f/1.4L on my EOS system, but boy do I love the Hexanon 35mm f/2 permanently affixed to my Hexar AF.

I just got a Nikon F3 which came with the Nikkor-H 50mm f/2. Seems like a nice little lens (going through my first roll now) I did notice a little nick in the front element, but upon close inspection I'm wondering if it is a speck of fungus.. Anyways, I like how small and sturdy it is.
    - Abram

35mm / 120

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Sorry, I was just suggesting the 2.8 because of price. If someone really wanted the 1.4 and couldn't afford it, the 2.8 might have been within their reach.

Best regards,

Alan
    Gotcha. Yes, if price remains an issue, I'd get the 35 f2.8 (I had one before, nice little lens) and the 85 f2.8.

Shooter
    35mm
    If I had to choose between 35mm and 50mm, I'd probably go for the 35mm lens. When I've owned both I've used the 35mm a lot more. But, I'm actually quite fond of the compromise focal length of about 45mm. My Yashica Lynx has a nice 45mm lens, and I also loved the almost-wide angle of view of the old Nikkor 43-86mm zoom (first lens I used beyond simple cameras). This is splitting hairs, of course... if I had the opportunity to buy a Voigtlander R-series rangefinder, I'd probably get the 40mm lens.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Although I own a bunch of 50mm lenses, I have grown to loathe the 'normal' focal length.
    I greatly prefer either 28mm or 105mm.

Thus, I voted, 35mm.

Best 35mm lens I ever had was the Pentax 35mm f/3.5 Super Takumar.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Funny how so many folks pan the 50, yet so many of us who shoot medium format love our TLRs and folders with fixed 80s. The aspect ratio is different but the viewing angle does look really close to me. (I'm in that camp, in a way - I don't dislike 50s but picked 35 as all around more useful. But I love my TLR with its fixed 80mm. Go figure.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would opt for my Canon FD 35mm f2 Thorium lens, it defies the laws of physics in that it is almost as sharp at the edge of the frame at most apertures as in the middle.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    USE both.
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    In medium format, while I love the overall operation of my Rolleiflex 2.8E, in many ways, the reason I'd use it (travel) would make me want a Rolleiwide instead with the 55mm lens. Which is actually closer to a 28 than a 35. But maybe I should just take a trip with the Rollei and see what comes of it. But as a general principle, the larger the format, the less telephoto and more wide I want to be. But I've never really been a big telephoto kind of guy - the longest focal length I have in 35mm is a 135, and the longest I ever had was 200mm in a zoom. Given the interchangeability of large format lenses, the telephoto thing kinda goes out the window, but right now the longest I've got for any LF/ULF is a 25" (630mm) which would be also about a 135mm equivalent for 6.5x8.5 or 8x10.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin