Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,438   Online: 816

View Poll Results: Do you prefer 35mm or 50mm focal length in 135 format?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • 35mm

42 48.28%
  • 50mm

45 51.72%
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    I only own a nice multicoated 50mm for the Yashica SLR I've been using the most often lately. I have more for the Canon EOS, but I'm usually using the 50mm on that one too. It's all I need for 90% of my photos.
    I take donations for beer and film​.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I chose 50mm because I don't own a 35mm prime, just a 35-70mm zoom. However I do own and love my Nikon AIS 28 f2. For the 50mm I have the Nikon AF 1.8D. It's the one that cost around $125 new and I like it.
    It has to be true. I read it on the internet, and you can't lie on the internet!!!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I picked 50mm. It's closer to how I normally view the world and so if only one lens -- that's what I'd use.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Art

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by agphotography View Post
    Yes, this is absolutely true! I was up to something like 4 cameras and 10-12 lenses at one point and it drove me nuts. I sold almost everything and I'm down to 4 lenses right now. I feel much better

Ps - we're at a 50/50 split!
    Humm, while I readily agree with the sentiment, those numbers aren't nearly high enough to qualify as distracting to me. Maybe (since this is in the 35mm section) they are if they are all 35mm - that I can see. You're bound to have a lot of stuff with overlapping usefulness.

I just added up the number of cameras I have (seven) that I actually use pretty regularly, not counting the one I got because I wanted another copy of my first "real" camera or the 620 old Kodak my wife bought for me or the ones I'm going to fix someday, and the number of lenses I also use regularly (nine, or eleven counting the non interchangable ones on two cameras.) But these are spread over 35mm, two flavors of MF (three if you count the 6x7 back for the view camera) and 4x5.

The only time it's ever distracting is when I know I want to shoot medium format and can't decide between the small and light and easy, but fixed lens and no mid roll back/film changes TLR and the Mamiya 645 Pro which offers those things and more but is much larger and heavier, especially with those extra backs and lenses.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerevan View Post
    I am a 50's man, the Nikkor-H 50/2 to be more specific.
    I know they're very good but the H'es are becoming a boutique lens. Right now at KEH an EX. 5cm f/2 H is almost 3x the price of an EX. 50mm f/2 H. The 50mm f/2 H does still lag behind the 50mm f/2 Ai (my fav). I think the 10.5cm and 105mm P's ramped up like this.

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The lens I always carry... Nikon 50mm f/1.4... Awesome Lens.
    Everybody has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.
    My Website and Gallery is at www.bcarlsonmedia.com
    My Twitter is @brendancarlson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Late to the party, but 50mm. I don't really do landscapes. I shoot people, objects, flowers, signs, that kind of thing. You just have to be too close with the 35mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another vote for the 50mm. However...a tough one to decide between the 50mm F1.4 ASPH for the Leicas...or the 50mm F1.2 AIS for the Nikons...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I just got back from an event at the Renwick Gallery of the Smithsonian Institution. Big, old (1880s) building with dim interior lighting. Had the 50 1.4 on the camera. I'm liking that focal length even more now - wide enough you can get a small group, and fast enough you can still see to focus what you're pointing at.

Shooter
    35mm
    My Nikkor 35/1.4 AI-S and CV Nokton 58/1.4 are in about 60:40 split. If I had to choose one it would be the 35, but that would be terrible. I don't want to have only one lens, I want them all, twice.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin