Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,057   Online: 776

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    I've made more purchases from KEH that were EX or better, but have bought Bargain items that were in decent, usable, if less than pretty, shape. I bought a LN lens that was still in the original clear plastic in the box that it probably came in. I got a BGN lens that has a bit of a loose aperture ring so the larger apertures are a bit off the mark but it works for me, I just find myself counting the clicks.

There does seem to be a range with any type ratings I think; but at least KEH ratings seem reasonably consistent compared to the Bay where sellers' definitions of condition seem to be whatever they want to call it.
    Sharon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bought one bgn grade lens from keh after several ex and ex+ ones. Zero complaints on the bgn one and it may have cost more than all of my other glass purchases combined, and may even be more than everything else combined. A couple of small marks on the barrel, with perfect glass. Two thumbs up.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    BGN stuff always has faults. Sometimes, they're tolerable; sometimes, they're not.

I've done well with BGN bodies, less so with BGN lenses. But when possible I buy EX or higher now.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would not count that each BGN = EX like condition, especially for more popular items where they have a lot in stock.

However If you can accept that BGN most likely wont be in EX cosmetic condition (but you may be lucky), you have 14 days to return it and I think that return shipping is free of charge if the item is defective.
    Plus you have 6 month warranty.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    BGN bodies typically can vary. The two BGN grade F4's I've owned have been somewhat worn. One of them did have a mode switch issue that they gave me a $30 price adjustment, since I had no guarantee that the replacement body would be a later body, less likely to be flaky. The other works perfectly, just has some wear on the dials, etc, and the body finish isn't matte black anymore, instead, it's rather shiny. I've also owned a BGN grade F2A that, except for a couple tiny dings, would be very close to what I'd think they would call EX grade. Very tiny amount of brassing.

Lately, I've been enjoying buying AS IS gear off their eBay page. Got a lot of six supposedly dead Nikkormat FT's and Nikomat FTn's. Only one was truly dead. The rest did fire, and two FTn's had properly working light meters as well. Kept those, and got rid of the rest. One will be used as a donor camera for my Nikomat FT2 that needs an overhaul, and the other is loaded up with a roll of Ektar 100 as I type this.

-J
    APUG: F4, F3P, F2ASx2, F FTn, FM2n, Nikomat FT2, Nikkormat FT3 - all blk bodies
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (for DPUG), 28/3.5 H, 35/2 O, 35-135/3.5-4.5 AF, 50/1.4 S, 50/1.4 SC, 55/2.8 Micro AIS, 85/1.8 K, 180/2.8 ED AIS

My FB - My flickr stream

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I am surprised that KEH labels one's gear strickly based on their appearance. I hope they must check out the gear's mechanism as well and I guess they do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was told by more than rep that they DO check for functionality - however, the grading is based on appearance alone. I was told, unless AS-IS or mentioned in the listing, all features should be present, functional, and usable.

That said, I stay with EX or higher for most things.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Generally they work well and look at lot better than BGN to me. I've bought several over the years. My last M2 was a BGN lever rewind. It was very nice looking to my eyes and worked fine. It actually turned out to be a KS15-4 (basically an M2 with the M4 film load kit and extra dust seals -- an M2R really) but without anything on the outside to indicate that. Strange you'd think that they'd want more for that since lots of people like the M4 loading spool. But I've never been disappointed with BGN gear from KEH. I've never gotten a bad deal from KEH for gear of ANY quality level really. And they're only a couple of miles from where I live and work so I can actually go pick it up if I ask real nice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I only buy Ex condition lenses from KEH these days.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

jcc
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I got a Canon FL 55mm f/1.2 that was BGN — glass was almost pristine (just dust), with patina on the barrel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin