Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,808   Posts: 1,581,496   Online: 1072

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

What has been your experience with BGN grade gear from KEH?

I am thinking more toward lenses but I am also looking at camera bodies from there.

Thanks.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've had two or three BGN Nikkor AI lenses. While obviously not cosmetically perfect they aren't bad; just a bit of minor wear on the finish. The one BGN camera body (Nikon N90S) was a disappointment - I'd say it's the low end of ugly: Finish a mess and falling off, a couple of small body parts broken and quite a few deep gouges in the plastic, corners knocked off. However I decided to keep it because the cost and hassle of return international shipping wasn't worth it on something priced $50, and to be fair both body and lenses worked faultlessly when I got them and what's still in my possession continues to do so several years later.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Seek and you shall find.

(do a search, there are several very long threads about KEH and people's experience with ugly vs bgn vs ex).
    In a nutshell, most folks have been satisfied with their BGN purchases from them, YMMV.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Yes, do a search and read the very long threads. Bottom line, it is a crap shoot (regardless of grade) but, they have a very good return policy. Keep in mind that that KEH grade 35 mm gear on cosmetic ONLY. So, EX mean it looks pretty damnen near new but it may have not so obvious mechnical defects.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's also very dependent upon your expectations. Are you in a mind set that it just has to work?

I had EX and EX+ grade stuff I wasn't satisfied with. I also had BGN grade stuff I couldn't find any reason why it wasn't graded much higher. I had a discussion with one of KEH rep about this. He explained, it's very subjective so depending on who graded it, grading could vary. It's also a range, so low end of a grade look very different from high end of the same grade.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have yet to be disappointed with BGN purchase from KEH.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No problems at all with the "bargain grade" camera bodies I have purchased to date: In April 2005, I purchased a bargain grade 500c/m; last July - after six-plus years of heavy use - I took it in for its first CLA. In June 2008, I picked up a bargain grade chrome Nikon F2AS. The camera was put to immediate use (shooting Kodachrome) without prior testing; the camera continues to be a part of my travel arsenal (now shooting E100G); it has yet to require any servicing. And, lastly, in May 2009, I purchased a 553el/x; again, no servicing has been required to date.

While I might have reservations about buying "bargain grade" glass, I would not hesitate for a moment to pick up any "bargain grade" cameras or accessories. So what if the stuff (occasionally) does not look pretty, cameras are meant as tools, not as prized possessions to covet and sit on display...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are so many practically identical threads already about KEH....
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    i've been buying bargain grade gear from KEH since about 1996
    large format lenses, as well as p/s cameras, regular 35mm
    and pc lenses and i have never had a bad experience.
    Last edited by jnanian; 07-13-2012 at 05:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin