Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,728   Online: 807

Shooter
    35mm

Bought a new camera, thought I should stock up on batteries

I picked up a N65, Tamron 75-300mm, Nikon 28-80 3.3-5.6 G and a Quantaray 2X, with a nice bag for $80.

I am pleased. I might upgrade the body to a N70, but this will definitely get me started.

It comes with some batteries in it, but I was thinking of get some.

Anyone have any recommendations for how many and from whom?

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could go to Costco or Sam's Club and buy one of the bulk packages.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A N80 or N75 would be a nice addition and if you can find them the matching battery grips would allow you to use AA batteries. I have battery grips for both of mine and use AA rechargeable batteries.
    Marvin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't really see a need to stock up something that's widely available. I'd replace what came with the camera with a fresh one then have one as a spare. Beyond that, it's probably the best to buy these things on as-needed basis. Besides, you may very well upgrade your body to something else before these two batteries are exhausted.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    I don't really see a need to stock up something that's widely available. I'd replace what came with the camera with a fresh one then have one as a spare. Beyond that, it's probably the best to buy these things on as-needed basis. Besides, you may very well upgrade your body to something else before these two batteries are exhausted.

Good points, but I have thought that buying a bunch mail order would be less expensive than buying a a couple in a store.

Although I have been thinking about a grip.

I have plenty of AA NiMh batteries and a fast charger, so I am thinking that may be a way to go.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, true. You can buy a 6 pack from Amazon cheaper than buy one pack from local retailer. I said what I said because I did the same thing you are going to do.

I bought an N80 and immediately turned around and bought packs of 6 packs. I went through one set of batteries and into another. Then I upgraded to F-100. (Which uses standard AA). It's up to you.... I also said that because you mentioned upgrading as well.

As to brands, I just buy what's available and inexpensive. It's just batteries and I always carry spares.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bladerunner6 View Post
    Good points, but I have thought that buying a bunch mail order would be less expensive than buying a a couple in a store.

Although I have been thinking about a grip.

I have plenty of AA NiMh batteries and a fast charger, so I am thinking that may be a way to go.
    Look for an MB-17 for the N65. Looks like they are reasonably priced. Unike the MB-18 for the N75, which can have asking prices more than that of a clean N75 body.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have an MB-18 for my N75 but looked for a second one and they are hard to find. There are aftermarket units for the N80 made in China.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have an F6 and the minute I bought it, I stocked up on batteries (8 sets of CR123A) and I am still only on my third set of batteries since (it's been 3 years). I've shot a lot of rolls in that time (>40 rolls), I say buy as you need them unless you can score a really good deal.

Just keep a reserve of 2 or 3 sets extra. But if you really want to be cautious, buy the grip and use rechargeable AAs. Best idea and it can only improve the handling of your camera now that it has a grip.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin