Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,729   Posts: 1,515,222   Online: 923

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    What I like about the K1000 is how uncluttered it is. Don't get me wrong, I love the extra features the KX has, (mirror lockup, self timer,etc.) and I use the KX more now than the K1000, but I love holding the K1000, it just feels a little better to me in my hands. Pioneer is right about the K1000 being (at the time) the low priced way of getting into Pentax, it worked on me. I remember the day that I bought my first one, I was just enrolled in a photo course and the local electronics store had a bunch of different brands and I was leaning toward Nikon. The only Nikon camera at the time that I could afford was the EM and that was aperture priority only. My instructor had suggested making sure whatever I got had a manual option so I ended up buying the K1000 and that did it.

Shooter
    35mm
    How about an LX with a fast lens . . .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My first car was a Volkswagen. It sucked. I HATED that car. Later had a Rabbit - it sucked too. I've been down on VW ever since. YMMV.

I do have a "later Chinese" K1000 and maybe that's part of it. It works fine but it feels big, clunky, and frankly cheap. Not inexpensive, cheaply made. The MX feels like the fine machine it is. The LX feels like a refined combination of mechanical and electronic tech which it also is, but the MX does have that silky smooth feel of an all mechanical device that is just right.

The K1000 was/is great in the success department, because when it was new it was an inexpensive camera that did what it was supposed to do quite well. I understand that. It's the current prices that I don't understand.

Or at least, that was true when I bought my MX, which I believe I paid $79 for in BGN condition (and it looks nearly new, an "excellent" in anyone else's grading) while K1000s were well over $100 in BGN. But right now I don't see a chrome MX on their list, the black ones are absurdly more than the chrome as they were far more rare, and the K1000s are showing $79 BGN, $115 EXC. For the same price I'd take an MX any day, but I think that's less than it was when I bought my MX. (I wasn't going to buy a K1000, I was looking specifically for an MX, I just remember being shocked at how much more the K1000 was.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My first car was a '77 hand down Buick Regal. But my next car was a bright red '81 VW Scirocco with GTI wheels and Pirelli P6 tires. My god how I loved that car!

I can picture myself in one of those totally cheesy old "what kind of man reads Playboy" magazine ads from that era: Scirocco parked on a cliff overlooking a sunset over the Pacific. Me with my Dan Tanna shades on, velour v-neck, tight Britannia jeans, and my Pentax K1000 over my shoulder. Oh, and a babe on the hood of course.....ha!
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm
    The quality of construction and mechanical refinement of the Original can be appreciated even today. The only automation anyone needs is an instant mirror return . . .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think maybe this went a little astray from what the OP originally asked about. I guess this is probably known as "hijacking" a thread. Totally unintended, and though it has been fun, there have been a few votes cast here and there so maybe there are some others who have their own Pentax memories, and preferences that want to chime in. I am certainly biased but it does look as if the K1000 is out in front followed by the LX and MX.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    The quality of construction and mechanical refinement of the Original can be appreciated even today. The only automation anyone needs is an instant mirror return . . .

And a truly magnificent example as well. Wow, nice shot!

Shooter
    35mm
    Since Ricoh and Pentax are now one, we don't need to hide them in the closet anymore
    The XR7 and the ME Super are similar in size, weight and functionality, the XR7 additionally has DOF preview, AE lock, dedicated multiple exposure control and more traditional shutter speed control.

The ad that brought it to my attention.
    Link to larger version -> Ricoh XR7 ad

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    And a truly magnificent example as well. Wow, nice shot!
    Thanks,
    I took advantage of Kodak Portra's super wide latitude and reached deep into the shadows.

Been awhile since I had some great Basque food and drinks in Elko!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like my Portra as well, and you certainly used it to great advantage there.

Things change everywhere and there have been changes here as well but some things never seem to change. The Basque food is still a great draw, and for a darn good reason. The Star is still in the same place and the Basque Cider and Picon Punch as potent as it ever was. The end of January is a great time to come and experience the Cowboy lifestyle with the Cowboy Poetry gathering. But you have to get your hotel reservations early because there is not a room to be found in this town during that week.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin