Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,514   Online: 1045

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Minolta SRT201

Shooter
    35mm
    Yep, that seems like the best suggestion so far. There's definitely a hook in there that, if I hold it while advancing the film lever, will allow the mirror to stay down.... until I move my finger. Then up it goes! I think I'm going to wait until I get paid next week and send it off to Gary; I'm sure if that's screwy something else probably needs adjustment too.

Shooter
    35mm
    Can you just buy another one? Most of these can be had for like $50 and if I were Gary I would not fix a camera for $50.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Just Fix It

And then you chance buying someone else's problem.

Naah, these film cameras are so inexpensive nowdays that it is well worth an extra $75 to $150 for a complete CLA by a top camera repair person. I actually factor the price in. I am not buying these to speculate and turn them over, I am buying them because I want to experience the thrill of using these wonderful instruments the way they were used when they were new. It is well worth the money and the time. Besides, if I do resell it later I feel much better about myself.

Of course I have had return calls from a few repair shops telling me the cost where I decided that it was better to write it off. But it is hard to make that decision until it has been checked by someone you trust.

Shooter
    35mm
    I should have been more specific in my original post when I said, "I picked one up." I actually got it from my grandmother. It originally belonged to my now deceased uncle. So, fixing it is definitely the way to go. Plus I hear Gary does a bang-up job for $45 +shipping.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    Can you just buy another one? Most of these can be had for like $50 and if I were Gary I would not fix a camera for $50.
    Sure. Just go buy another 35-40 year old camera. It won't need a CLA either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Sure. Just go buy another 35-40 year old camera. It won't need a CLA either.
    Exactly. Most are cheap because they need a good CLA. Not spending money to get a good mechanical camera in perfect working order because another one can be had cheaply is a false economy. Then you have two subpar cameras and can enjoy wondering why your negs are off in focus or exposure or why the shutter lags as you waste more money on film and valuable shooting time for nothing.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    Exactly. Most are cheap because they need a good CLA. Not spending money to get a good mechanical camera in perfect working order because another one can be had cheaply is a false economy. Then you have two subpar cameras and can enjoy wondering why your negs are off in focus or exposure or why the shutter lags as you waste more money on film and valuable shooting time for nothing.
    Yes, a proper CLA is normal and required maintenance. All my gear has had one, and it's as reliable and accurate as new - including the 100+ year old shutters on some of the LF lenses.

Buying an older - and this means 20 years and up - camera or lens in shutter and not expecting to do a CLA just isn't realistic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree get a proper CLA and check out http://www.butkus.org/chinon/minolta...a_sr-t_200.htm for the manual. Please mail him a check for $3 if you find the download useful.

Enjoy it. It is a great camera, I had SR-7, SRT 101, SRT 201, and X-700 Minolta cameras. Great glass.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Okay, so now I feel like an idiot. I sent my camera out to Gary's Camera Repair, who I now highly recommend. I just got it back today, and everything was working great. Then, I was playing around with it and decided to press the shutter release button while holding in the stop-down button. Apparently that was a really bad idea because now everything is locked up. Help!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've not heard of that being something you can't do. Contact Gary's.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin