Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,280   Posts: 1,534,883   Online: 873

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Minolta SRT201

Shooter
    35mm

Minolta SRT201

I just picked up an old Minolta SRT201. I generally just shoot digital. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, just clueless, or if something is wrong with it. Everything seems to work just fine, except when I advance the film lever, the mirror goes up and stays there which makes it incredibly difficult to compose the shot afterwards. I've checked and there's no mirror lock up switch on this model.

Am I doing something wrong?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are you sure it is lifting the mirror during the wind or is it sticking after the shutter has been released?

I have a few SRTs and find that when the bumper foam gets bad the mirror will stick to it in the up position.

Pn all the SRTs I have had and fiddled with I have not see a mirror flip up when winding.

Shooter
    35mm
    Nope, it flips up after I wind it and stays there until I press the shutter button.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmmm, very funky. I would suggest sending it in to a repair service like Garry's Camera Repair (cheap and good). Sounds like a botched self repair by the previous owner or something got knocked around.

The SRT series is a well built camera and lenses are pretty inexpensive for them too. It is worth putting a few bux into it now as it will last for years to come.

I say that being a Minolta junkie. My first SLR was a Minolta and it never let me down so I stuck with them.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yeah, I've heard good things about Garry's Camera Shop. I'll check them out.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I can also vouch for Gary. He overhauled all my SRTs a few years back. He has very reasonable prices and a fast turnaround.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Definitely check out the mirror bumper foam for deterioration or stickiness. It's easy to replace yourself, with the felt from an empty film cartridge and a dab of rubber cement.

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't think it's the mirror bumper foam since the mirror does flip down after I press the shutter release. For some reason it just flips up when I advance the film.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    This is normal. The earliest SLR's would snap the mirror up when you took the picture. Then people complained they wanted to see after they took the picture. So the next round of cameras worked like yours. After a while someone got the idea to make a mirror that would go up AND come down. Shortly after that SLR's grew immensely in popularity.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Just kidding, it's something like the mirror lifting catch worn.

Had this happen on a Pentax and because the gear makes half-revolution per wind, the mirror would go up on winding every other shot. I was able to sharpen the mirror lifting catch and solve the problem... But a reputable repair is a better idea.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin