Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,530   Posts: 1,572,456   Online: 1093

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    rolleiman the 35mm is next on my list to get!
    PDH, I have to agree w/you regarding the consumer grade lenses. For me, the late 60's and early 70's were a great time for good quality lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had an early screwmount version and I remember how stunned I was when I examined the first roll I shot with it.
    Very sharp. Excellent small piece of glass thats for sure.

Shooter
    35mm
    Pentax essentially carried on the SMC Takumars as the first K lenses - just with the new mount and aperture coupling. I have several of these including two rarities - the 100mm f4 macro and 120mm f2.8 which I adore. It's a much better focal length than 135mm as you can shoot at 1/125 with no shake providing you have reasonably steady hands, add the f2.8 part and you have a superb lens for grim winter days without needing particularly fast film.

I also have the 28mm f3.5, 55mm f1.8, 50mm f1.4, 135mm f3.5 and 200mm f4. And a few oddments like an 85-210mm f4.5 which needs professional attention for a mould spot and a 28-50mm I stripped, cleaned and rebuilt from a similar state. Most recent find was a helicoid extension tube which is an incredibly handy bit of kit - it gives you an infinitely variable length extension tube between 26mm and 46mm.
    Last edited by PentaxBronica; 07-20-2012 at 07:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi PDH, There doesn't seem to be a Konica 55 F1,4; but 50, 52 or 57. (there's the 55 macro) I'd be interested to know which one you mean. According to the web, the 50 F1,7 seems to be sharpest. Thx a lot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PentaxBronica View Post

Pentax abandoned the 55mm focal length when the M series came out in the late '70s, the lens was replaced by the M 50mm f1.7. The 50mm f2 was a slightly later addition intended to provide a cheaper kit lens, and while it's no embarrassment the f1.7 version is better.
    Don't forget the Pentax DA * 55mm f1.4. Although not many here would have use for that one.
    --
    Kenton Brede
    http://kentonbrede.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    There was a 52/1.4 in the earlier Konica F mount. The 57/1.4 in AR mount is a six element lens. The later 50/1.4 Hexanon lenses have seven elements. The first version was made by Konica and goes down to f/16. The second version had elements made by Konica and a barrel/aperture mechanism made by Tokina. It goes down to f/22. I agree that the 55/1.8 Takumars (Super, S-M-C-T and SMC) are excellent.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello,
    the focus length which is engraved on a lens is not necessarily an exact value. There are tolerances of up to plus/minus 10% of the nominal length. Many Leitz 50 mm M-Summicrons have for example a focus length of about 52 mm, I think all were above 50 mm and none under. With SLR's there was the problem to get enough space for the return mirror. Many old f/1.4 standard lenses had 8 lenses (see first Super Takumar 1.4/50 type) and with exactly 50 mm the lens was too deep in the mirror box. Therefore the designers choose 55 or 58 mm. These were the years, a 28 mm lens was called a super wide angle. Lateron new glass types and the growing use of computers led to more sophisticated lens constructions. Maybe even such things as import taxes for imported lenses with a certain focal length had an influence in certain countries like the U.S.

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    I have an assortment of Pentax/Takumar lenses in 42mm and K-mount and for my purposes they are all excellent. Apart from the optical aspects, the mechanics of the feel of the focussing mechanism and aperture ring are (or should be) silky smooth. Not so the later K-mount Pentax-A lenses, where the mechanical build quality seems rather crude by comparison. My only reservation with the earlier lenses is that I find that the angle of view between 50mm and 55mm often has a greater effect for my subject matter than I'd expect and I always prefer the slightly wider angle of the 50mm variants for my purposes. I recall the days of my old Zenit E when I would go out with its 58mm Helios lens and was forever irritated by having to get further away from my subject (not that that mattered, as I'd often forget to use the manual stop-down ring and the shot would be wasted anyway!)
    Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-S View Post
    I don't think the f/1.8 lenses used thorium oxide, only the f/1.4 (and a few others).
    Right.
    Here's a list of radioactive lenses:
    http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Radioactive_lenses

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    I had an early screwmount version and I remember how stunned I was when I examined the first roll I shot with it.
    Very sharp. Excellent small piece of glass thats for sure.
    A good friend uses screwmount Pentax lenses exclusively, when one looks at his prints it's easy to see why.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin