Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,060   Posts: 1,611,304   Online: 1014

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    In my experience the K and M lenses are every bit as sweet to use as a good screwmount Takumar. The A series lenses however aren't as nice to use in manual mode as they generally have a plastic aperture ring which makes them difficult to operate precisely - it's very easy to turn it three stops when you only wanted one.

I have the A 50/1.7 and 200/4 but tend to use my K 50/1.4 and K 200/4 instead. The only auto mode I use is Av, and all K mount lenses will do that on the right bodies.

The DA* 55mm might cover full frame but thanks to using SDM it'd be manual focus only on film bodies able to control the aperture (these lenses lack an aperture ring). I've seen people get good results with the DA40 and DA35/2.4 on film, which seem to be derived from the M 40 and FA 35.
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In response to Photo-gear. Interesting article on the lenses with thorium. I saw where kodak was one of the biggest users of it. I guess my 50's Brownies didnt get such treatment. They could have been
    "Super Brownie", hottest lens on the market! Oh well...
    2bits

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PentaxBronica View Post
    In my experience the K and M lenses are every bit as sweet to use as a good screwmount Takumar.
    For those not familiar with Pentax, the K series lenses, called SMC Pentax, are the same as the screwmount Takumars except for having the K-mount. The much newer lenses called Takumar Bayonet are NOT the same, and are a disgrace to the Takumar name, IMO.

The A series lenses however aren't as nice to use in manual mode as they generally have a plastic aperture ring which makes them difficult to operate precisely - it's very easy to turn it three stops when you only wanted one.
    Yet even so, I've found them nicer than several other makes' plastic aperture rings. With the A series I think Pentax did one of the better jobs with the whole plastic lens parts thing. They retained some metal where it mattered most.
    [/QUOTE]
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    The Takumar Bayonets are a bit of a mixed bag. The 28mm f2.8 isn't bad, mostly as it's the same as the later Pentax-M 28/2.8 but with different coatings. My experience is that it's reasonably sharp but the colours are a bit muted. If you see one cheaply then it isn't a waste of money.

The 135mm f2.8 and 70-200mm f4 seem to have reasonable reports too. Thing is though, with prices not that different to far better lenses they're only worth bothering with for collectors. The 28-80mm Pentax-A/Takumar-A has to be the low point of their production for that era, my copy is the only two touch zoom I've ever found which extends on its own if you point it downwards and feels like it'll fall apart at any moment!
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Personally I will stick with the old lenses, which is what my original post was pertaining to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PentaxBronica View Post
    Thing is though, with prices not that different to far better lenses they're only worth bothering with for collectors.
    Yes, I've seen the highly regarded 70-210/4 SMC-A zoom for well under $100, even as low as $50. And I bought my 80-200/4.5 SMC-M in excellent shape for $50.

The 28-80mm Pentax-A/Takumar-A has to be the low point of their production for that era, my copy is the only two touch zoom I've ever found which extends on its own if you point it downwards and feels like it'll fall apart at any moment!
    Mine did! It came apart in my hand. It proves that having a lens that's largely metal doesn't matter if it's held together with tape! Really, I'm not kidding.

I was just glad I didn't really pay anything for it, as I really didn't want it anyway. It was paired in a fleabay sale with the sweet and tiny 24-35/3.5 zoom, and I got a good deal.

Whenever I send anything to Eric Hendrickson to be repaired or CLA'd, I also include in the box anything I have that's not worth repairing, and that he might be able to use for parts. That 28-80 helped save him some time on disassembly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bits View Post
    Personally I will stick with the old lenses, which is what my original post was pertaining to.
    Sorry to get afield.
    I have not heard any of the screwmount Takumar primes denigrated. I have long heard admiration for the lineup's high optical quality, and in particular its consistency one to the next. I have had a Takumar 200/4 for decades, and will never part with it. It's the only Pentax-made lens I have that's not an M or A series. It was late run, maybe '69-'70. I got it in the early or mid 80's. It has never been serviced, yet it still works flawlessly.

My screwmount EBC Fujinons I got when my cameras were Fujica ST801's are great, but to my eye more Nikon-like optically. My old slides taken with the Takumar have a look that's just lovely.
    I think I have just convinced myself that I need to get some more Takumars. Or K series lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My 35mm f/2 M42 (49) is pretty soft wide open, but gets nice by f/2.8 or f/3.5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 35mm f2 M42 is very high on my want list! I've seen some pretty great stuff done w/ that lens. Used to have one many years ago, but don't remember what happened to it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bits View Post
    The 35mm f2 M42 is very high on my want list! I've seen some pretty great stuff done w/ that lens. Used to have one many years ago, but don't remember what happened to it.
    I have one of those and can confirm it's an amazing performer. So is the 35mm f/3.5, but obviously with 1-2/3 stops less max aperture. It's such a nice lens to put on the camera and just do walk-around shooting with. But put it on a tripod some time using low ISO film, develop carefully and start making larger prints. It takes my breath away every time I enlarge a 35mm negative to 16x20 and see that much detail.

I have never had a Pentax lens I did not love.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin