Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,953   Posts: 1,522,769   Online: 961

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Speaking of Pentax lenses...

I just got a nice Pentax 55mm 1.8 Asahi Takumar M42 from a guy, who had it laying around since his venture to digital. The lens appears sharp and crisp, all functions are fine. I will be testing it on my Spotmatic. Any opinions on this lens? I am not at all familiar w/ it. Sure seems nice! Has a very long focus range.
    Any info or insight much appreciated,
    2bits

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensrevi...55mm-F1.8.html

Check out the above link. There are a lot of reviews and some information on this lens and its variants.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a 55mm f/1.8 M42 Super-Takumar which I love.

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the same lens, bought it in 1967, very sharp, great color, I still use for both film and digital, K5 and Sigma SD 9 and 15. Of all the normal lens I have the only lens that I tested to be sharper is the Konica 55 1.4, it tested out as sharper than my Pentax K 50 2.0.

Shooter
    35mm
    The 55mm was made for years with tweaks, the final version being the SMC Pentax one with a K mount which was sold with the K series bodies (KM/KX/K2).

The f1.8 and f2 versions are optically identical - Pentax merely added a baffle to reduce the maximum aperture on the f2. They're now pretty sought-after as portrait lenses for digital use and obviously by those who collect and use vintage film gear. The K 55mm f2 was only sold with the K1000 and then only for a year or so, the f1.8 version lasted 1975-77 with the rest of the K lenses.

Pentax abandoned the 55mm focal length when the M series came out in the late '70s, the lens was replaced by the M 50mm f1.7. The 50mm f2 was a slightly later addition intended to provide a cheaper kit lens, and while it's no embarrassment the f1.7 version is better.

The link to the Pentax lens database above covers the M42 versions, they also have pages for the f2 and f2.2 versions. If you look under "K series primes" you'll find the K versions.
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all the info everyone. I plan on putting that lens to good use. I was surprised that it has a little radiation content. But so does another lens I have. I guess when they are that good they are hot!
    2bits

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bits View Post
    I was surprised that it has a little radiation content.
    I don't think the f/1.8 lenses used thorium oxide, only the f/1.4 (and a few others).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's a wonderful lens. With all my Pentax lenses it's never the lenses that disappoint - only my abilities.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Those screw thread Super-Takumar lenseswere some of the best lenses I've ever used. They easily outclass some current AF lenses in my opinion. The 35mm 3.5 and 105mm 2.8 were superb performers, and beautifully made...no cheap plastics then!

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In those days, 60 and mid 70s Pentax, Nikon, konica Canon and the other folks did not make consumer grade lens, the only differnace was speed. Build quaility of a Pentax Tak 135 3.5 was good as the the 2.0. I think the late 70s and 80 saw the concept of a consumer grade lens, Nikon E and Konica Hexar comes to mind.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin