Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,559   Online: 1016

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In my area both Wal Mart and Target have stopped in-house C41, I am little confused if Wal Mart or Target will even print from a negative or not. Walgreens still process C 41 and with both Targert and Wal Mart out of the C 41 end Walgreens is seeing an increase in rolls. I am taking my critical rolls to Tempe Camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Update Nov 2014 WalMart vs Dwaynes C-41 Processing

I am getting back into 35mm C-41 film and getting it processed has become a pain. Last September I send two test rolls of 24exp C-41 to Dwayne's for developing, scanning and 4x6 prints. They were taken with a Contax IIa with the CV 25mm lens and a Leica If with a CV 15mm lens. The scans were done at 1833 x 3047 (5.6 MP) and the average size file was 7.3 MB.

Here's a photo taken with the 25mm CV lens on the Contax IIa:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	626.0 KB 
ID:	97894

Here's one with the Leica If and the CV 15mm lens:

Name:	004.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	805.4 KB 
ID:	97895

Dwayne's returned the negatives sleeved & uncut as I requested. The cost was $22 for both rolls returned.

My local WalMart used to process in-house but as everyone knows they send it all out and do not return negatives. What they do is ship the film to Fuji South Carolina (I'm in Georgia; in other areas they might send to a different Fuji lab). The film is processed and scanned. The scans are then sent back to the local WalMart via the internet and the order is printed & burned to a CD in the local WalMart. That's why they don't return the negatives - they use the internet to replace a courier for the return trip.

I used a Pentax MV with a Pentax-M SMC 50mm f/2 lens to take a test roll of Fuji 200. I dropped it off at WalMart on Monday 10 Nov. I got a call from WalMart on 12 Nov at around 5:00 PM telling me my order was ready. Far faster than the 9 days they told me it would take.

The WalMart scans were done at 2048 x 3072 (6.3 MP) and the average file size was only 900 KB, a lot smaller than Dwayne's scans. Here's an typical image from the roll:

Name:	003_22.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	625.5 KB 
ID:	97896

Clearly, Dwayne's scans were much much better even though they were done at a lower "resolution" (5.5 MP vs 6.3 MP). I was able to have great 8x10 prints made from the Dwayne's scans but the WalMart scans did not stand up. The 8x10 from the WalMart scan looks like it was made from a 110 negative. Last week I spoke with the Fuji SC customer service rep and was told that the film would be scammed at 2048 x 3072 and 500 DPI. The scans I got were not even close to 500 DPI. The CD had 72MB of data on it that leaves about 623 MB of unused space on the CD. There was plenty of room for larger scans, why don't they use it?

The cost at WalMart for the 24exp roll was $10.00.

Bottom line is that I will send all my C-41 work to Dwayne's and only use WalMart locally for enlargements. Since Dwayne's has a $4.50 minimum S&H chard I will save up my film until I have 5 rolls or so to send in.
    Last edited by aoresteen; 11-13-2014 at 06:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Tony
    Newnan, GA

Cambo 23SF, Hasselblad, Mamiya M645, Rolleiflex 2.8C
    Rollei 4x4 Grey
    Leica M4-P M3 IIIf RD Contax IIa Nikon SP
    Olympus OM-1 OM-2

http://www.oresteen.com/ROLLEI4X4.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Those Dwayne's scans look very good. I wonder if they have upgraded their equipment since I used them a couple years ago.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm going to plug my local mom & pop photo lab; zebracolor.com is their website, and they're located here in St Petersburg, FL. They do the C-41 inhouse, and will scan to whatever specs you want, as well as print. For B&W, they have a local guy that does it for them twice a week, and again will scan or print to your specs. Pricing is good, but I haven't actually compared them to any of the other mail-out places. They do all my color processing for me, and I haven't been disappointed yet.

I had been using a local Walgreens for C-41 rolls that were used for testing (ie, nothing important), as they were the last one-hour photo place left. I'd have them just do negatives only, and they were working out just fine. Unfortunately, like the other places, they're eliminating their in-house processing, which is bad and good. Bad, because I can't get a roll done in an hour at 1am anymore, but good because I don't think they were properly maintaining the machine, as I've had negs returned that were dirty and scratched.

So, Zebra Color is my choice, and my recommendation if anyone wants to give them a try.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Went to local Walgreens Saturday to have a roll of 35mm color developed, they have stopped in house processing. Sent out and no negatives also their policy now. They were the last place in town since Walmart stopped about a year ago.
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ever hear the expression "if you pay peanuts you get monkeys" ?, there must be many thousands of processing firms in the U.S. that do return your negatives.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tell Walmart to take a hike and do what ever works for you.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirks518 View Post
    I'm going to plug my local mom & pop photo lab; zebracolor.com is their website, and they're located here in St Petersburg, FL. They do the C-41 inhouse, and will scan to whatever specs you want, as well as print. For B&W, they have a local guy that does it for them twice a week, and again will scan or print to your specs. Pricing is good, but I haven't actually compared them to any of the other mail-out places. They do all my color processing for me, and I haven't been disappointed yet.

I had been using a local Walgreens for C-41 rolls that were used for testing (ie, nothing important), as they were the last one-hour photo place left. I'd have them just do negatives only, and they were working out just fine. Unfortunately, like the other places, they're eliminating their in-house processing, which is bad and good. Bad, because I can't get a roll done in an hour at 1am anymore, but good because I don't think they were properly maintaining the machine, as I've had negs returned that were dirty and scratched.

So, Zebra Color is my choice, and my recommendation if anyone wants to give them a try.
    I also plug a camera store not far from where I work that does a good job on film processing - Creve Coeur Camera. I use the one in Springfield, IL and they send theirs to their main store in Creve Coeur, MO for processing. Scans are 6MP, I've not been disappointed their processing. They've done E-6, C-41, and B&W, including Infrared. If you're near Springfield, IL or St. Louis, MO, check them out.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Time to build a darkroom, see all sides of film photography, put your personal touch on your work from start to finish.

John Powers
    First darkroom in college apartment 1961.
    Bath tub was the final print wash.
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichý

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Wal-Mart and no negatives.

I've started doing film developing (B&W and C-41) here locally, just using my home equipment, for locals who dabble with film and need processing without its costing an arm and a leg. I charge $10/roll for developing and 1200 dpi scan. And they get their negs back!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin