Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,727   Online: 816

Thread: Arthritic Nikon

Shooter
    35mm

Arthritic Nikon

I have a Nikon F 70xxxxx that occasionally exhibits varying spacing between frames. A space is narrow then corrects with a larger space a frame or two farther on. I've only seen this happen once per roll and some rolls do not show this at all. All other functions are fine. Can this be indicative of something serious with the shutter, or is it likely just film advance mech. wear?

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Time for a CLA. Enough dirt in the mechanisms can cause spacing problems.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But in the end it's a fault in the transport, not the shutter.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    But in the end it's a fault in the transport, not the shutter.
    What does the shutter have to do with it? Nobody mentioned the shutter.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As long as you don't have overlapping frames, I wouldn't bother with a CLA and would just keep on using the F as it is now. Also, don't you (or some one else) like to tension the film inside the cassette with the rewind crank? In my experience this can introduce some irregularity in your frame spacing.
    Last edited by Aron; 07-22-2012 at 06:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post
    What does the shutter have to do with it? Nobody mentioned the shutter.

- Leigh

OP asked if it could be the shutter in the first post.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebarger View Post
    OP asked if it could be the shutter in the first post.
    Yes, I did, because the advance and shutter work in concert. I assume they share some sort of gear train. Enough so that spacing issues could indicate possible shutter problems. I also assume shutter problems are the more expensive of the two.

CLAs aren't free. I'll just keep using it and see if anything changes. Thanks all.

s-a
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Aron View Post
    As long as you don't have overlapping frames, I wouldn't bother with a CLA and would just keep on using the F as it is now. Also, don't you (or some one else) like to tension the film inside the cassette with the rewind crank? In my experience this can introduce some irregularity in your frame spacing.
    Yes, as a matter of fact, I do do that. But only once, to verify film advance.

s-a
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Good working F's can usually be had for cheap. They won't be pretty looking, but, nothing that a set of small screwdrivers and spanner wrenches can't fix.

I'd considered getting mine overhauled to regain the use of the mirror lockup feature, but, then a friend offered his body, which is in nicer shape, for less than the overhaul.

With respect to tensioning the film, that's something mentioned in the instruction book anyway. Supposed to take up the slack when loading the camera, then verify that the rewind crank is turning when film is advanced.

-J
    APUG: F4, F3P, F2ASx2, F
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 50/2 H, 85/1.8 K, 105/4 Micro AIS, 180/2.8 ED AIS, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin