Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,857   Posts: 1,583,067   Online: 875

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kinda miss my EM, it walked off with its perfect 50mm e series as well.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I had an FE-2 which did this when I bought it; maybe you have the same problem. In my case it turned out to be the contact inside the camera which senses the aperture. I assume it was dirty or slightly corroded through disuse. Try repeatedly turning the aperture ring backwards and forwards from wide open to fully stopped down. It took quite a lot of twisting, but in my case it worked in the end.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by michael stevens View Post
    I had an FE-2 which did this when I bought it; maybe you have the same problem. In my case it turned out to be the contact inside the camera which senses the aperture. I assume it was dirty or slightly corroded through disuse. Try repeatedly turning the aperture ring backwards and forwards from wide open to fully stopped down. It took quite a lot of twisting, but in my case it worked in the end.
    Do you recommend twisting the aperture ring repeatedly with the camera meter turned on, or with the meter off? I don't know if the jumpy needle problem is on the aperture lever on the camera mount or in the actual needle itself.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Doesn't matter if the camera meter is on or not. The problem is in the ring resistor. It's dirty. So, the 10-15 Nikon shuffles that I suggested over on Nikonians should work. You might have to do it some more, but it should work. It's a common problem with the EM.

-J
    APUG: F2AS x2, F, FM2n, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 20/3.5 UD, 24/2.8 AI, 50/2 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 50/1.4 S, 55/2.8 Micro AIS, 85/1.8 K, 135/3.5 QC

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Nikon_F View Post
    Doesn't matter if the camera meter is on or not. The problem is in the ring resistor. It's dirty. So, the 10-15 Nikon shuffles that I suggested over on Nikonians should work. You might have to do it some more, but it should work. It's a common problem with the EM.

-J
    Thanks John! I was just getting ready to respond to you over at Nikonians, but you saved me the trip! I am rotating the aperture ring repeatedly as we speak. Next on my list will be to change the foam seals on it as well. I will probably be ordering several foam light seals in the near future to replace them on some of my other bodies (FM2n, F3 and an old Pentax), so my "new to me" EM will be my next project.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by snegron View Post
    Thanks John! I was just getting ready to respond to you over at Nikonians, but you saved me the trip! I am rotating the aperture ring repeatedly as we speak. Next on my list will be to change the foam seals on it as well. I will probably be ordering several foam light seals in the near future to replace them on some of my other bodies (FM2n, F3 and an old Pentax), so my "new to me" EM will be my next project.
    It can also simply be shot; if so, all the twiddling won't bring it back to life. It's a hit-or-miss solution, at best. The only seal that's behind most light leaks is at the hinge side of the back and you don't need a "kit" to replace it, just a piece of adhesive-backed foam.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    It can also simply be shot; if so, all the twiddling won't bring it back to life. It's a hit-or-miss solution, at best. The only seal that's behind most light leaks is at the hinge side of the back and you don't need a "kit" to replace it, just a piece of adhesive-backed foam.
    Actually, the twiddling has worked for the most part! The needle is much less jumpy now. Thanks for the feedback on the foam kits. I was planning on replacing the foam on the hinge side of the back as well as the door channel seals as they are gummy. I wasn't too overly concerned changing out the mirror cushion though.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by snegron View Post
    Actually, the twiddling has worked for the most part! The needle is much less jumpy now. Thanks for the feedback on the foam kits. I was planning on replacing the foam on the hinge side of the back as well as the door channel seals as they are gummy. I wasn't too overly concerned changing out the mirror cushion though.
    Door channel seals are more for moisture and dust, not light. I've taken them out of several Nikon MF bodies and never had any problems.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Actually, the twiddling has worked for the most part!
    Keep at it, it can take quite a lot of twisting and turning to make up for the years of neglect!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by michael stevens View Post
    Keep at it, it can take quite a lot of twisting and turning to make up for the years of neglect!
    Getting there! Getting there slowly, but getting there! The jumpiness is very minimal now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin