Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,220   Posts: 1,532,312   Online: 912

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Nikon EM question

Recently a friend of mine gave me his old Nikon EM with 50mm Series E 1.8 lens. He purchased it new back in either 1979 or 1980, rarely used it and kept it stored in a leather-like camera case all these years.

It looks like near mint condition. The batteries were a tad bit corroded ( I think he changed them within the past 3 or 4 years), but there was no corrosion on any battery contact. I cleaned the battery contacts anyway just to make sure and placed two new batteries in it.

The camera seems to be working fine, but I find the exposure needle jumping about wildly even when I touch the camera. The shutter seems to work well as I tried different shutter speeds by using different aperture settings (seems like an aperture only camera).

I removed the new batteries, re-cleaned the battery contacts but the exposure needle still jumps like crazy when I put the slightest pressure on the aperture. Is this normal? Is there something else I need to adjust on this camera to get the needle to stop jumping like crazy? I tried different lenses but the camera's exposure needle does the same thing.

On another note, my friend also gave me the brochures and advertising pamphlets that came with the camera! They are in perfect condition! It is fantastic to see color pictures of "the Nikon System" circa 1978-79.

Shooter
    35mm

Use it

I have read about this problem before. There is a sliding contact that moves with the f stop setting that gets intermittent. This is one of those rare cases where lack of use is bad. Normal use of the camera keeps the contacts clean. I have never had any problem with my EM, and it gets lots of use. I suggest you "dry" shoot some pictures without film, as if you were shooting a few rolls of film. See if the intermittent problem goes away. It is a neat little camera, I hope it works for you.
    Best regards,
    Chris

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Chris! Looks like the exposure needle jumpiness doesn't affect the shutter speed, only needle itself as viewed in the viewfinder. I will do some dry firing to see if it goes away.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by snegron View Post
    Thanks Chris! Looks like the exposure needle jumpiness doesn't affect the shutter speed, only needle itself as viewed in the viewfinder. I will do some dry firing to see if it goes away.
    If you like it but can't stand the jittery needle, another EM would top out at about $25 and its smarter brother, the FG, a bit more. The 50/1.8E is a sweet little lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Protip: you can ratchet wind the EM... one of the few Nikons that do this. (Does the FG? The other one that does is the F3/F3HP.)
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    The shutter speed is what the needle is pointing at. If the needle is pointing at the wrong shutter speed then you have bad exposure too.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    If you like it but can't stand the jittery needle, another EM would top out at about $25 and its smarter brother, the FG, a bit more. The 50/1.8E is a sweet little lens.
    It is a nicely designed camera, but I don't think I would buy another one. While I do shoot many times in aperture priority, I also like to shoot manual as well.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    The shutter speed is what the needle is pointing at. If the needle is pointing at the wrong shutter speed then you have bad exposure too.
    The needle is jumping from one extreme shutter speed to another. It is definitely a jumpy needle problem, not an exposure-related issue. I tried it in different lighting situations and the shutter speed sounded correct (slower in the dark), but it pointed erratically to a higher speed. The camera is metering and exposing correctly, it is simply displaying a jumpy meter.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It is a nicely designed camera, but I don't think I would buy another one. While I do shoot many times in aperture priority, I also like to shoot manual as well.
    That's why I mentioned the FG: smallest full-featured MF SLR Nikon ever made and the same size as the EM.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    Protip: you can ratchet wind the EM... one of the few Nikons that do this. (Does the FG? The other one that does is the F3/F3HP.)
    The FG should be the same. The manual does refer a single stroke "or a series of shorter ones". The FG-20 is the same.
    My cameras:
    Fed 2
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F601, F801, F801S, F50, F55, F60, F65, F70, F75, F80, F90, F90X, EL2, FE, FM, FG, FG-20, EM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin