Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,287   Posts: 1,535,335   Online: 827

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by freecom2 View Post
    You might find this thread helpful, although no Nikon specific repairmen or women come to mind - the only person is Sover Wong, but for the wrong F!

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum137/...irer-here.html
    freecom, thanks for your input. I am sending it to these guys, and will look to see if they are not already on the UK repair list. www.aztechservices.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I feel your pain. And am surprised that the "T" would be so fragile.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Perhaps the plus to all this, is I can get some new parts fitted to the camera, which will extend the life of it. Providing they can get an f3t prism in silver, then I'll go with it. Otherwise I will ask for a DA2 to be fitted. Hopefully will get a CLA from this too. The winder mech is definately loose and the shutter button won't fire. Hopefully will get the LCD's replaced.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Merritt View Post
    The cladding doesn't insulate the innards from shock. Bust the FRE on any F3 and you've screwed the pooch:

http://mir.com.my/rb/photography/har...s/fe/tech1.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    The magazine review at the time of it's release identified the LCD as the weak link giving it 6 years just because they didn't have any compiled data on LCD's then. It is supposed to be less then a 30 minute job to replace it - provided parts are still available.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Merritt View Post
    The T would be more resistant to ding but not to damage of the innard I guess.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    The T would be more resistant to ding but not to damage of the innard I guess.
    It fell on the corner of the prism, and I heard the thump on the floor. I'm going to ask for the prism so i can post some pics of the damage.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    John I beg to differ, the T body interally has the same sealing as the P body, according to the Nikon repair manual.
    Sounds like a cracked FRE, especially if it landed on the rewind side, even though it may look as if only the prism took the hit, if the rewind knob area has any sign then its the FRE. Pretty sure they can swap it out, there might be some additional sealing for the T model but that's not totally needed to make it functional.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    The magazine review at the time of it's release identified the LCD as the weak link giving it 6 years just because they didn't have any compiled data on LCD's then. It is supposed to be less then a 30 minute job to replace it - provided parts are still available.
    Long gone. Told by Nikon.ca's techs almost 8 years back(when I wanted a slightly faded LCD on an early F3 replaced)that the LCDs were no longer available, though the companion flexi circuits were. Its still plenty visible, just not as sharp black and gray as my late F3s LCD.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-D659 View Post
    Marko, could be carpet on a concrete floor.
    True. And even if there was carpet padding under the carpet, because the camera landed on a corner all the kinetic energy of the impact was concentrated there. I'm not surprised at all that the shell dented. I am surprised at the level of damage caused along with that. Perhaps the shell was too strong, and passed too much energy on to the camera body.

Sorry to hear of this. F3s of any stripe are nice cameras.

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin