Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,956   Posts: 1,586,030   Online: 772

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Nikon F3T dropped camera

Hi, I dropped my nikon f3t onto the carpet in my room. It landed on the corner of the titanium prism next to the "N" of Nikon. Now the prism does not meter, the LCD appears to be damaged, and the ADR readout window is cracked. The shutter will now only fire with the backup lever on the front. The shutter does not fire with the power on, using the shutter release. the winder mech seems a little loose. Please could someone tell me of a good repair facility in the UK, or further afield to get it assessed, and fixed? Thank you, William.

It's back to a nikkormat FT3 for now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pollux View Post
    Hi, I dropped my nikon f3t onto the carpet in my room. It landed on the corner of the titanium prism next to the "N" of Nikon. Now the prism does not meter, the LCD appears to be damaged, and the ADR readout window is cracked. The shutter will now only fire with the backup lever on the front. The shutter does not fire with the power on, using the shutter release. the winder mech seems a little loose. Please could someone tell me of a good repair facility in the UK, or further afield to get it assessed, and fixed? Thank you, William.

It's back to a nikkormat FT3 for now.
    Don't drop the FT3. Whatever it lands on will be the next thing which needs repair.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm shocked that a F3 would break with a simple drop on carpet
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    I'm shocked that a F3 would break with a simple drop on carpet
    Must be thin carpet, from the damage he described.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Marko, could be carpet on a concrete floor.
    Bob

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm getting it off to a good workshop tomorrow, with nikon test software, equipment. I've asked from them to fit a DA2 action finder to it, if possible. could be interesting.

it was thin carpet, with a wood floor. looks like the F3T is not invincible after all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pollux View Post
    looks like the F3T is not invincible after all.
    Nope. Invincibility went off the feature list after the F2.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My nikon F3 was dropping on the concrete more than once, and still it is working. I guess you need to be lucky also :\

Shooter
    35mm
    You might find this thread helpful, although no Nikon specific repairmen or women come to mind - the only person is Sover Wong, but for the wrong F!

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum137/...irer-here.html

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Might be easier to find a non-T F3 body with good working electronics, then have your tech swap the top and bottom covers to that body. There's no internal difference, unlike the F3AF, F3P, F3H, and F3 Limited (as well as the NASA cameras). Heck, if you have access to the F3 service manual (it's online, btw) and some small screwdrivers, you can do the work yourself. I've done it before.

-J
    APUG: F2AS x2, F, FM2n, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 20/3.5 UD, 24/2.8 AI, 50/2 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 50/1.4 S, 55/2.8 Micro AIS, 85/1.8 K, 135/3.5 QC

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin